What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N Number

wilddog

Well Known Member
If an aircraft has a reserved N number, is registered but has not yet received an Airworthiness Certificate, will the N number still need to be renewed before it is a year old?

YES

If you want to keep that N number, you will need to renew it EVERY year. If you miss the renewal, someone else can snag it...ask me how I know!

If an aircraft has a reserved N number, is registered but has not yet received an Airworthiness Certificate, will the N number still need to be renewed before it is a year old?

Once the N number is used to register the aircraft, it is no longer "reserved". It follows the same rules as an aircraft with and Airworthiness Certificate in place.

Carl

If you want to keep that N number, you will need to renew it EVERY year. If you miss the renewal, someone else can snag it...ask me how I know!

Are you sure about that? He said its is registered - once you assign an N-Number to a Registration, I don?t think it makes any difference if the AWC is valid or not - the registration people don't talk to the Airworthiness people.

Prior to assigning the reserved N-number to a registration, absolutely!

I could, however be wrong - just how I think it works.

Are you sure about that? He said its is registered - once you assign an N-Number to a Registration, I don?t think it makes any difference if the AWC is valid or not - the registration people don't talk to the Airworthiness people.

Prior to assigning the reserved N-number to a registration, absolutely!

I could, however be wrong - just how I think it works.

You're not wrong.

As has been said; Once the aircraft is registered, that "N" number is no longer "reserved".
After that the only renewal required is renewal of the registration every 3 years.
Airworthiness Certificate is not relevant.

Reserved N-number does NOT equal Registered Aircraft N-number.

Not sure you can register an aircraft that has no airworthiness certificate.

Reserved N-number does NOT equal Registered Aircraft N-number.

Not sure you can register an aircraft that has no airworthiness certificate.

I certainly had no problem doing so. I seem to recall that the N number needed to be on the airplane (and inspected for conformance to size, etc.).

Correct

RESERVED N numbers must be renewed...My bad, I thought he was talking about reserved numbers...

As far as registering the N number, I was told that in Indiana, once you REGISTER the aircraft you have 30 days to pay the sales tax; not the case with reserved numbers...

Here are the steps
1reserve a number
2after receiving
your finish kit from Vans ask for a bill of sale
3use that to register you aircraft with your reserve number
you will need to renew it every three years
4finish aircraft
5get airworthiness
6Fly!

The registration number will be on the airworthiness certificate so IIRC the airplane must be registered in order to have a valid AWC.

:cool:

You can't even APPLY for airworthiness certificate without registration!

And the corollary of that is you can register a crate of parts LONG before airworthiness is even a possibility....not recommended, as you might not finish the thing creating a problem about where the airplane went to, but it can be done.

The EAA recommendation is to apply for your registration about 6 months before your ready for your AWC inspection. Earlier is generally better than later.

And the corollary of that is you can register a crate of parts LONG before airworthiness is even a possibility....not recommended, as you might not finish the thing creating a problem about where the airplane went to, but it can be done.
The EAA recommendation is to apply for your registration about 6 months before your ready for your AWC inspection. Earlier is generally better than later.

Absolutely do NOT register the aircraft until you are sure you will finish it. I have run into this several times where, for instance, the registered owner dies before completion of the aircraft. It can get very "sticky"!

My recommendation is to register no sooner than 6-8 weeks prior to completion. Most original registrations go through within 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:
My recommendation is to register 6-8 weeks prior to completion. Most original registrations go through within 2-3 weeks.

I second Mel's motion. 6-8 weeks should be plenty, and if all your paperwork is in order you'll get it back a lot quicker than that.

I also agree that you shouldn't do it too early, both from the standpoint that Mel mentioned, but also from the standpoint of state taxes.

Don't be in too much of a rush!

Back