Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 11:34 PM

Default Thoughts on pricing RV-14 For Sale?

So the first time we start seeing some low time RV-14's for sale. What do you think will be the selling price range?

- VFR RV-14 with factory new IO-390 and decent glass panel - pricing range?

- IFR RV-14 with factory new IO-390, nice glass panel, and all the goodies - pricing range?

Last edited by craigvince : 03-10-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: removed reference to Barnstormers
Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 AM

Most RV's these days do not sell for much, if any, more than the price of their parts, unless they're a 10..a showpiece.

The -14 is by no means revolutionary so I think that the same thing will apply. The economy is just what it is...bad for sellers, great for buyers.

Best,
Air Tractor AT 502B PT 6-15
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20
EAA Flight Advisor/CFI/Tech Counselor
Louisville, Ga

It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so,
Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132

Dues gladly paid!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:38 AM

Right - that seems to be the case.

A very nice RV-10 seems to have about $70k to $80k additional value over full cost of the build. I was thinking a recently built RV-14 may sell for the $129,000 to $149,000 range (in the 100hrs TTSN range or less after build is completed). I would pay $129,000 for a clean well built basic VFR RV-14 if it had under 100 hrs TTSN. I would pay more for a loaded up RV-14 with IFR panel set up.

This all leads me to my original thought that building a RV-10 still makes the most sense (from an economic standpoint)....plus the extra two seats never hurt.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre smith View Post
... unless they're a 10..a showpiece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroBuilders View Post
Right - that seems to be the case. A very nice RV-10 seems to have about $70k to $80k additional value ...
I think what Pierre meant was unless they're a 10/10, as in a perfectly built "showpiece", not an RV-10.

I don't think any RV could be built and sold at a profit, once you figure in the labor costs and overhead. At least not when the market is flooded with used (almost new) aircraft selling for 50 to 70 cents on the dollar. Remember, asking price has nothing to do with actual selling price.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
seems to have about $70k to $80k additional value over full cost of the build
The key words are "seems to have"

All you can really tell from advertising is the asking price seldom will you ever know the actual purchase price or even if a sale occurs.

I agree with Craig, you really can't build these things and make a profit.

the best way to make 1 million dollars in aviation in todays market is start with 2 million dollars.

Milt Concannon
Old 03-10-2013, 10:16 PM

If I build a RV-10 for $140k, and sell it 6 to 12 months later (after I fly 100 to 200 hrs on it) for $210k, I consider that a decent amount of equity. Of course this does not include my cost of labor for time spent for the full build process. Building an RV-10 for me would be a lot of work but it would also be a blast....so labor costs into any kit is relative imo.

After reading the earlier post again I do see the 10/10 point being made about RV valuation opinions...all good points everyone.

What would you pay for a 9.5/10 or 10/10 RV-14....VFR or IFR?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroBuilders View Post
If I build a RV-10 for $140k, and sell it 6 to 12 months later (after I fly 100 to 200 hrs on it) for $210k, I consider that a decent amount of equity. Of course this does not include my cost of labor for time spent for the full build process. Building an RV-10 for me would be a lot of work but it would also be a blast....so labor costs into any kit is relative imo.

After reading the earlier post again I do see the 10/10 point being made about RV valuation opinions...all good points everyone.

What would you pay for a 9.5/10 or 10/10 RV-14....VFR or IFR?
I know of a couple of RV-10's that have changed hands. Both nice airplanes. I didn't ask either <new> owner for specifics, but my impression was that both were purchased for little more than the build cost.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 03-10-2013, 11:54 PM

Default $140k?

I don't know how you could build an RV-10 for $140k unless you scrimped significantly on everything, AND got the kit used for a deep discount.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
I know of a couple of RV-10's that have changed hands. Both nice airplanes. I didn't ask either <new> owner for specifics, but my impression was that both were purchased for little more than the build cost.
Granted, I don't know of every RV-10 that has been sold, but the most expensive -10 I know of personally sold for $175k and that was 5 years ago before prices started to plummet.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N395V View Post
...the best way to make 1 million dollars in aviation in todays market is start with 2 million dollars.
That's Step 1.

Step 2 is: Know when to quit.

Thanks, Bob K.