What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings are ready

Are they getting delivered tomorrow? Great! When mine came, I used a couple of those furniture dollys from HF ($12) to roll the crates around. If you have another person or two, you can just carry them around. Have fun.

I received two emails this morning. One from Barbara at 11.41 am ES and another at 12.16 ES from Cynthia informing about the wing kit availability. I am shocked and excited by the lower price. Was expecting $9000+....This new pricing is going to make the decision between the RV7A and RV14A a lot easier.:)

Got it. When I was at Vans last month I was shown a whole stack of wing and other 14 parts. I can't wait to see the how the 14 kits will go together.

(BUYING IT

We expect RV-14 wing kits (which will work for either tailwheel or nosewheel versions) to become available in the autumn of 2012. These will include everything necessary for a complete set of wings: fuel tanks, control surfaces, completelyassembled spars, molded wingtips, etc. The price is yet to be determined, but a preliminary estimate is around $9000.00.)

$7440 is quite a ways off from $9000 and only $590 more than the current RV7A wing kit price. I feel the 14 is going to be a big hit.:)

Last edited:
Look deep into my crystal ball!

After being on the leading edge of the first wave of RV 12 kits my guess of the time line would be as follows.
First as stated they are now taking orders for the wing kits. They will probably begin shipping them in late December or Early January?
Second, the tail kit will be next probably released in the Spring, April or May ish.:confused:
Third by late Summer early Fall the fuselage kit will be released.;)
Forth, December or January the finish kit will be released. :eek:
Fifth, Spring 2014 the Avionics kit will be released for those who want to use Vans and not something else.:rolleyes:
Sixth, Summer 2014 the firewall forward kit gets released for those who again go with the standard Vans engine.:cool:
Seventh by the end of 2014 those really fast builders will have a few RV 14s flyings.:p
Remember you heard it here first from the all knowing all seeing RV Genie.:D

Last edited:
I will take the opposite viewpoint. Vans will release new kits faster than the builders need them and there will be flying 14s by the end of 2013. We will see who is right ! :)

I received the email too. I told them that was great news but I'm gonna wait til the QB is ready. I ask if they could give me a date so will see if they come up with an answer. I guess I need more time anyway to put more funds aside. I hope the price is more inline with the -8 and -9 than the -10. Looks like it, which is good news!
Erik

lead time for QB

I got a call back from Vans. Lead time is 12 to 18 months. Sounds like Slow build will definitely be in the air before me. I guess it is only right.
Erik

Is there anything missing from the RV-14 wing kit that is included in the RV-10 wing kit? Center Section perhaps? Wing tips?

The skeptical bits in me find it hard to believe that there could be a $2k price difference just because the wing is a bit shorter. Will we see that ~$2k added back in elsewhere?

Is there anything missing from the RV-14 wing kit that is included in the RV-10 wing kit? Center Section perhaps? Wing tips?

The skeptical bits in me find it hard to believe that there could be a $2k price difference just because the wing is a bit shorter. Will we see that ~$2k added back in elsewhere?

My thoughts and my thoughts only are: a lot of the work and machine programing are already completed on this section. Less work, less cost, along with some efficiency of similar parts could bring the cost down. An example is no need to redesign the wing tip, lights in both wings, spar ect. Nothing says everything HAS to go up. Larger production runs tend to lower costs. My thoughts.

Are you sure about that? Is there drilling science so good now that they can send out center carrythrough without match drilling to the spars?

I'm not sure as I don't work at Van's, but on Friday that is what a Van's employee told me when I asked the same question as to the cost of the wings. He explained that with the procedure and equipment they have now, the center section and spars do not need to be paired up.
Ron

Back