What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Integrated RV-14 Introduction Thread

I spoke with one of the Vans guys at their EAA booth.

One of the interesting things he said is that all of the prepunched holes are punched to final size and their testing showed that they did not need deburring. The time saving here must be huge!

He mentioned the higher cost is due to things like the now standard options that would otherwise be a somewhat hidden cost to the builder. Wiring harness, etc. He thought the final price would be only slightly higher than an similar 7 and mentioned 85k.

He also said that they will be producing a tail dragger version and will be testing other engine options.

I just wet myself.

Take RV-14 Lessons and Apply to RV-7/8/9 Manuals & Kits

It would be great if Vans revamped the current RV-7/8/9 prepunched kits to no drilling and deburing required. That would greatly speed up these kits build time. They could also upgraded the manuals to reflect the best practices found in the RV-10 and 14 manuals. Just a thought...

They already pre-dimple. The holes for the flush rivets on the leading edge skins of the RV-12 Wing come out of the crate with the dimples.
Bruce

Wow. Does anyone know if this is an automated process or if they are doing it by hand? Just curious.

Steve,

Not good. Maybe Van's really IS onto something here.

I can see it 30 years from now. The RV-23 has a cockpit 60" wide at the seat level (but only 50" wide at the deck), weighs 1800 pounds empty, and takes an IO-720 to haul through the air.[/QUOTE]

You might be on to something here. BUT
it is the RV 8B

30 inches wide
Showplane canopy
IO-720
single seat.

Nemesis or RV8B(BIG)

I did like the new qualities of the 14.
New gear--10
Wings------10
Tip up with struts in back. NICE
Taller canopy
No fiberglass cap like 10.

Would not go with prewire.
Would not go with engine. IO-540 instead.
Would be great back country plane with 540

Still can't build this plane for under 90-100K.

Should take 1500 hours unless you go see Jay Pratt.:rolleyes:

MY .05

It would be great if Vans revamped the current RV-7/8/9 prepunched kits to no drilling and deburing required. That would greatly speed up these kits build time. They could also upgraded the manuals to reflect the best practices found in the RV-10 and 14 manuals. Just a thought...

I have to admit, I'm greatly enjoying the accuracy of my RV-10 kit, with all the pre-punching and all. But I also greatly enjoyed building my RV-6A, without any of that, and feel much more confident of my building skills as a result. I think Van's is beginning to edge over into doing too much. Just my perspective as a builder. I also avoided the quick-build kits or buying someone else's project because I wanted the fun of doing the entire thing myself; why should someone else get my fun? But I also understand that others don't share my love of building and are more focused on the finished project. Maybe Van's should consider putting a design through the certification process to cater to all the people out there who'd love to have an RV without all the building. That's not sarcasm; there might be a real market out there.

I can see it 30 years from now. The RV-23 has a cockpit 60" wide at the seat level (but only 50" wide at the deck), weighs 1800 pounds empty, and takes an IO-720 to haul through the air.

You might be on to something here. BUT
it is the RV 8B

30 inches wide
Showplane canopy
IO-720
single seat.

Nemesis or RV8B(BIG)

How about a 3-seater with single pilot seat up front on the centerline and a bench seat for two in the back with removable stick in the middle :D

Interesting Point......

I did like the new qualities of the 14.
Should take 1500 hours unless you go see Jay Pratt.:rolleyes:
MY .05

If the RV-14 kit is as complete as the RV-12 kit, builder's assistance may not be an option.
Although the -12 kit makes the 51% rule, it is pretty close.

Evening, all. Long-time unregistered lurker. First time poster. Soon-to-be builder.

I've been saving for five years to get my kit started. The goal was to travel up to Aurora, OR and pick it up on my fortieth birthday next June. Initially, I'd started with thoughts of the -10, but after a bit of researching and lots of soul-searching recently decided on a -7. Now, with the introduction of the -14, I believe I may again have to revise my decision.

I'm a big dude at 6'2" and 225lbs, so this new offering is right up my alley, I think. I plan to build it with some help from my wife and daughter (and anyone else who'll come by and work).

I've gotta say, the thought of the project is both exciting and intimidating at the same time. I'm looking at it as an educational journey much like getting a college degree, and as with any big project I've accomplished in life, will be striving towards each little victory to win the overall war.

Cheers!

The goal was to travel up to Aurora, OR and pick it up on my fortieth birthday next June.
I'm looking at it as an educational journey much like getting a college degree, ...

I did the same thing when I turned 40. Dilemma: Buy a sports car or build an airplane? Answer: Drive to Aurora and pickup a -9A kit. And yes, it costs as much as a master's degree, probably takes as much time and effort, but it's a lot more useful and fun!

I'm a big dude at 6'2" and 225lbs, so this new offering is right up my alley,

You wont be disappointed with the size. I sat in it at the tent and at 6'5 and 240 I was quite comfortable. I didn't have to scrunch down like I do to fit in a 6 or 7. In the 14 my head was still close enough to the top of the canopy that had I been wearing a regular headset it would have been really really close to touching. That said, you can always modify the seat cushions to gain a little room.

You got it!

.....I've gotta say, the thought of the project is both exciting and intimidating at the same time. I'm looking at it as an educational journey much like getting a college degree, and as with any big project I've accomplished in life, will be striving towards each little victory to win the overall war.

Cheers!

Welcome to VAF, Glenn...you seem to have it figured out!...like eating an elephant...one bite at a time.

Again, welcome,

Best,

Welcome to VAF, Glenn...you seem to have it figured out!...like eating an elephant...one bite at a time.

Again, welcome,

Best,

That's funny, since it was the analogy I had originally typed (it was the way my mom told me to approach getting my college degree).

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. My next step is to renew my EAA and AOPA memberships (both recently lapsed...had some more important family stuff going on when they came due) and then to reserve the N-number we've chosen! By this time next year, the first rivet will have been set!

I did the same thing when I turned 40. Dilemma: Buy a sports car or build an airplane? Answer: Drive to Aurora and pickup a -9A kit. And yes, it costs as much as a master's degree, probably takes as much time and effort, but it's a lot more useful and fun!
Why not both? The answer is, of course, the Miata. :)
zoomy1.jpg

Last edited:
Back