What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying used rv10. Need help

argoldst

I'm New Here
So I found a used rv10 that I am considering buying and need some help/advice. This is my first plane purchase.

1) previous buyer walked away because he didn't like the logs. Any idea what I need to look for that would be a deal breaker? I know most experimentals don't have logs as complete as certified ones.

2) does anyone know a good airplane inspector near medford airport in Oregon that knows rv10? I want to get a good prebuy inspection but no one seems to have much experience with experimentals and none with the rv10.

3) any other advice or recommendations on what I should do, ask or check on my first purchase would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Adam

Welcome to VAF

Adam, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

There are a few 10 builders in Independence OR, might look into them------EAA chapter on the field, you should be able to get contact info for the chapter on the EAA main website.

I do know a very well qualified person, but he is in the Sacramento CA area, and I do not know if he would be willing to travel that far to do an inspection, but I could ask him if you want.

First off the plane you are looking at may be great and may have had good maintenance, but... Poorly documented logs are a bit off putting to me when I am looking at aircraft. Generally, those who are focused on good maintenance will typically also be diligent about documenting the maintenance that was performed. With no other information to rely on except the logs, poor logs suggest poor maintenance practices (to me). If I have other evidence to consider, such as talking with the original builder/maintainer or talking with the shop that maintains the aircraft that would help me overlook a light log book. If the airplane has changed hands a number of times and the seller offers little history other than the logs, then it makes me nervous.

There is really no reason that an experimental aircraft log book should look much different from a certified aircraft log book. I passed on a pretty nice looking Rocket last year largely because the log books were incomplete and the aircraft was on the third or forth owner who did not fly the airplane very much, so he had little to offer on the history of the aircraft/engine/prop.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
And

Do not purchase without a thorough pre buy. Use someone who knows RV-10s if at all possible... you will save yourself a lot of heartburn...

Adam, are you in Fallon NV? If so, look up Bret. He built a 7 and you may be able to talk to him and find out some of the questions you need to know. Mike S, the guy who welcomed you is not far from you in Dayton. There must be a ton of guys in the Oregon area who may be able to help too and since the RV community is pretty close, the plane is probably known by someone.

Good luck on finding a plane.

Adam,

You might check with Synergy Air (http://synergyair.com) for RV build experts. They are located in Eugene, Oregon and have assisted many RV builders, including the RV-10. They were a great help to me when I first started building my RV-10. I don't know if they do pre-buy inspections but if they don't they may know of someone in the area that does.

Try:

Oregon Independence Brown, Gary 503.269.3907
"A&P, IA, CFI (LODA on RV-7 - can do transition training.)"

He is a great guy too. I had my inspection on my RV-10 completed by Gary.

There are others listed on the Vans website.

I know a person who I consider top notch in Vans Aircraft. He is a DAR ATP and CFII, has built at least 8-10 planes. His name is Vic Syracuse, and you will see him all over VAF. I bought an RV-10 about 4 Year?s ago and he inspected it top to bottom and corrected several mistakes. Only problem for you is he lives in the Atlanta area. You would have to fly him out to you. Yes, it would be expensive, but you would be sure of what you are buying.
Contact him on
Www.baselegaviation.com

Ted Chipps
N498EC

I know a person who I consider top notch in Vans Aircraft. He is a DAR ATP and CFII, has built at least 8-10 planes. His name is Vic Syracuse, and you will see him all over VAF. I bought an RV-10 about 4 Year?s ago and he inspected it top to bottom and corrected several mistakes. Only problem for you is he lives in the Atlanta area. You would have to fly him out to you. Yes, it would be expensive, but you would be sure of what you are buying.
Contact him on
Www.baselegaviation.com

Ted Chipps
N498EC

If you don't mind me asking what did he charge you for a full inspection?

Thanks you all for your help. I got some more research and turned out I am going to pass on that plane. I'm still interested in buying one so if you know anyone selling a nice rv10 for a decent price I'm very interested.

Back