Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 PM

I used a similar method with the syringe. I buttered the top and front of the ribs with the popsicle stick, cleco'd in place, then when all the ribs were cleco'd on top, I used the syringe to run a bead over the rib locations on the bottom of the skin. After clecoing the bottoms of the ribs I then used a trimmed acid brush to form the fillets and put a dollop of ProSeal on the shop heads.

I'm sure the ziploc bag will work fine. I just never found a reason to do it that way since I had the syringes.

I'm building mine in my garage workshop typically heated to approx 60F. I plan to rivet the right tank tomorrow, which will be a day and a half since I set everything with ProSeal. Based on my experience with the left tank, I could easily be setting rivets on Sunday or Monday and still be okay. Now if it was last Summer it would be a different story. I think working with ProSeal is definitely a Winter sport!

Oh yeah, you're probably smarter than me, but be sure you run your vent line and drill the hole on the root rib for the vent fitting BEFORE riveting the root and tip ribs in place. I was able to make it work okay on the left tank doing it bass ackwards, but much easier doing it the right way.

RV-7A
Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 PM

For the stiffeners and ribs, I like to use acid brushes with the bristles trimmed down to 1/4" to 3/8" to make it stiff enough to spread the sealant. It does a nice neat job with no masking and little cleanup.

I found some 60cc syringes at drugstore.com that I like to use to apply the bead for the baffle. The opening is a full inch in diameter, making it relatively easy to load.

Construction Log
Picasa: Empennage Album, Wings Album, Fuselage Album

1955 Cessna 170B flying since 1982

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 PM

Miles, you must have taken that picture using your feet! That's one thing I haven't yet been able to do -- pull out the camera and take pics with wet ProSeal in progress.

RV-7A
Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalldog View Post
Miles, you must have taken that picture using your feet! That's one thing I haven't yet been able to do -- pull out the camera and take pics with wet ProSeal in progress.

It upsets my wife when I get primer overspray or sealant on the camera, so I just have her come out and take those pictures. If I'm in the picture, she took it.

Construction Log

Old 03-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger View Post
I set the 3/16 rivets in the end rib tooling holes with my 3X rivet gun turned up to 90 psi, and a tungsten bucking bar. Just make sure the rib is well secured. I clamped the rib web in my bench vise, with the rivet as close to the jaws as I could get and still get the gun on it.

I too spent several hours assembling the first tank the first time. Have faith; it gets easier every time you do it. Here's a detailed description of the best way I found to assemble an RV-7 tank. The final assembly is probably the easiest of all, as the sealant tends to lubricate the rib.

Hope this helps!
Ya know Miles, you could finish that project much quicker if you would quit stopping to take all those photos.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbooth View Post
Ya know Miles, you could finish that project much quicker if you would quit stopping to take all those photos.
You might be right Ed, but even though I'm not nearly as old as you , I still have trouble remembering things from one day to the next. When I go to build a second component, the camera helps me remember how I built the first.

Construction Log

Old 03-22-2013, 03:54 PM

One way I found to get the ribs clecoed to the skin (I am quite lazy, finding easier ways to do things is my calling) was to push the skin only about 1/3 of the way into the jig, leaving the rear edges a foot or a little more apart, then installing the first (nose) cleco on the top and bottom of each rib. Then just push the skin a little farther into the jig and install the next cleco in each rib. After 2 or 3 clecoes are in place on top and bottom, you can usually push the skin all the way into the jig and finish clecoing. Piece of cake. I had a lot of practice, built my left tank 3 times before I had one that didn't leak.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger View Post
You might be right Ed, but even though I'm not nearly as old as you , I still have trouble remembering things from one day to the next. When I go to build a second component, the camera helps me remember how I built the first.
Good point Miles...but then you have to remember that you took the pictures...before you start on the second one