VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-06-2013, 06:04 PM

Default Builder dedication!!!

You know, some builders have trouble getting motivated, building their RV's.
Last night I decided to leave the heat on in the hangar, (usually have it on a timer to come on an hr or so before I plan to start the next day), lucky for me, as the power went out at eight this morning and was scheduled to be out for the remainder of the day.
Today's task was to cleco the inboard wing skins to the spars and ribs. With the hangar still warm, a ball cap on and a clip on LED light , task completed. I managed to countersink the wing walk areas before the power came back on temporarily as it's to go out in an hr in order to replace the downed transmission line transformer.
I'm finding a big deviation in the plans from the RV-10 with the inboard and outboard wing skin overlap. On the 10, you had to taper the entire lap so the joint would be thinner, (quite a task trying not to overheat and warp the sheet. On the 14, we are to just taper a small 1" triangle on each sheet. That is my next task so I don't know just how it will turn out. I'm sure Van's has it figured out.
I 'm building the RV-14 by myself and am enjoying it more and am spending more time at it. I worked everyday of my holiday vacation and most evenings. If I stay in the house I just fall asleep watching television, so I might as well go out and work on the project.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM

Default Maybe it's a Nova Scotia thing.

Ron,

I took my tail parts to Stanley on Saturday. I ran into a surprise storm and had the truck in 4WD most of the way. My friend Tom also showed up through the blizzard and we bolted the parts on. The temperature inside the hangar was -8 C that's about 17.5 F for you south of the border. We had a great day, stopped for a coffee and a sandwich and toughed it out. When we stood back and looked at our accomplishment, we were both quite satisfied.
It was well worth the effort.

Flying.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 AM

Suddenly I feel like a total panzy for going home when the hangar got to 48f and my feet were cold.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 01-07-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblueh2o View Post
Suddenly I feel like a total panzy for going home when the hangar got to 48f and my feet were cold.
I spent all day looking out my livingroom window deciding if I wanted to walk the 400 feet to my hangar at 48F and misting rain. I think the Canadians are a little tougher
RV-14. #140039 Complete
Flight hours: 175+
2018 Dues Paid
Old 01-07-2013, 05:12 AM

Yeah, the cold. Last week down here it got so cold I had to turn the air conditioner off. Heck, for a while in the mornings, I even needed to wear a long sleeved shirt outside. Burrrrr
RV9A - Completed! First flight on July 18, 2012!
Based at Merritt Island, FL (KCOI)
VAF Number: 1170

----
Star Trek Quote: "Logically, it could work. Also, logically, there are a hundred variables, any one of which could put us in a worse position than we're in now." Mr. Spock in Return to Tomorrow
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 AM

I moved my wings from the paint shop to the hangar (about 20 miles) this weekend. What I thought would be about an hour in the cold (upper 20s F), turned out to be about a 4.5 hour ordeal. It turned out that the trailer I was borrowing was still buried in the snow and it took awhile to get it unburied. We never did get the tarp that was supposed to be covering the trailer unfrozen enough to get it unstuck from the trailer floor.

Normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but since I still have a cast on my leg. I learned that a fiberglass cast and a sock over the toes doesn't provide much insulation against the cold.

I was planning on doing some work in the hangar for another couple hours, but after being out in the cold longer than anticipated, I wimped out and went home to get warmed. I guess I'm not quite as dedicated as Ron and others.

The good news is all the RV-10 is painted except for the wheel pants and final assembly starts on Saturday after I get this cast off on Thursday.

bob