What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Accessory gear question

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
For the engine gurus here - on an IO360B1B, can I remove the left mag WITHOUT opening the accessory case to remove the drive gear, coupler, bearing etc? I'm installing the SDS system with full electronic ignition and pulling the left mag off.

If I read the exploded diagram right for this engine model, you should be able to remove the Mag (with driven gear held on the Mag shaft with cast nut & cotter pin) and cover up the hole with the cover plate supplied by SDS, done.
The idler gear stays in untouched as it is needed to drive the cam shaft. That gear also has an eccentric lobe that actuates the push rod for the mechanical fuel pump (which you are also removing), on most models it is alright to leave the pushrod as it settles in the down position away from everything. On some models the pushrod has to be stabilized, ask Ross about this & if you need that particular mag cover plate with a tab in it to do this.

If I read the exploded diagram right for this engine model, you should be able to remove the Mag (with driven gear held on the Mag shaft with cast nut & cotter pin) and cover up the hole with the cover plate supplied by SDS, done.
The idler gear stays in untouched as it is needed to drive the cam shaft. That gear also has an eccentric lobe that actuates the push rod for the mechanical fuel pump (which you are also removing), on most models it is alright to leave the pushrod as it settles in the down position away from everything. On some models the pushrod has to be stabilized, ask Ross about this & if you need that particular mag cover plate with a tab in it to do this.

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

I was thinking the full SDS EI/EFI installs when talking about the f/pump push rod.
If you are only going with the CPI or CPI2 EI system, disregard the comments about the fuel pump stuff.

No, you were bang-on, I'm doing the full install - but I've had the fuel pump removed (running dual electrics) for almost 600 hours now. That part was addressed long ago. My question was focused on the mag drive gears, since that's the only remaining portion of the drive train about to get manipulated.

Back