VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-26-2020, 01:03 PM

Default Modest but Helpful Altimeter Improvement

The 6A I drive came with the standard 2-1/4" 0-20K' altimeter that Vans sells. Between appearing to be a little bit out of spec and (more importantly) the hard to read gauge resolution for that size of instrument, it was sort of hard to see specific altitudes at-a-glance. [It only serves as a backup to my Dynon panel, but if needed...].

So, it finally sunk in that the Vans-supplied unit is made by UMA, and that UMA also makes the same size altimeter, mounting details, etc. in a 0-10K' version that is available from ACS, etc. For my mid-America flying, that elevation range is fine, and UMA confirmed that going over 10K' MSL would not hurt the instrument.

I can now glance over and actually read what the backup altimeter is telling me. Good deal!
Old 06-26-2020, 05:26 PM

Good for you Sir.... Keep the steam gauges alive.

2020 Dues Paid

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 06-26-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhtenia View Post
The 6A I drive came with the standard 2-1/4" 0-20K' altimeter that Vans sells. Between appearing to be a little bit out of spec and (more importantly) the hard to read gauge resolution for that size of instrument, it was sort of hard to see specific altitudes at-a-glance. [It only serves as a backup to my Dynon panel, but if needed...].

So, it finally sunk in that the Vans-supplied unit is made by UMA, and that UMA also makes the same size altimeter, mounting details, etc. in a 0-10K' version that is available from ACS, etc. For my mid-America flying, that elevation range is fine, and UMA confirmed that going over 10K' MSL would not hurt the instrument.

I can now glance over and actually read what the backup altimeter is telling me. Good deal!
this is a good thought. when I replace my 2-1/4" 20K altimeter it will be with a 10K version. although, one time I exceeded 20K and my electrical system failed because of sleepy human error, turned the avionics master off. the steam gauges were all I had remaining. I really only needed the airspeed and compass to get down. I could hear the pleasant sound of ice departing the aircraft on the way down.

Simplicity is the art in design.

www.rvplasticparts.com