What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

S-Tec Autopilot install problem

only5kmore

I'm New Here
Help! I have 6A project that has an S-Tec 30 autopilot with the pitch computer and servo installed and complete. The roll servo has has never been installed. The plans call for it to be installed in the right wing according to S-Tec and the install plans. The problem is that the servo is 3" too long for the distance between from leading edge of the wing to the front edge of the aft wing spar. Just laying the servo in the access hole puts the capstum almost even the bottom skin. That puts it almost 3" forward of the bell crank. I know I have the right servo so I have no idea how it would be possible to install this servo, other than under the co-pilots seat, where there is room. The S-Tec people do not have any brackets for that nor do they recommend it be installed other than in the right wing.
Anyone out there have the same problem or have a solution.
Thanks for your input.

I have a S-Tec-30 installed

They initially made brackets for the 6A wing installation - it wasn't right...I gave them some measurements and I got the correct brackets. The bracket almost touches the skin where it is installed - it is that tight. I used nut-plates instead of plastic insert nuts as I couldn't get two hands in there to work a ratchet and a wrench

I have pictures of my install prior to skinning - but I made sure the servo would go in and out through the access panel before I closed it up.

Happy to share the photos directly - I haven't been able to post pictures in the forum so far. PM me with your e-mail and I'll zap a bunch of pictures to you.

Mine works great - I have both roll and pitch installed along with GPSS coupling to my GNC420W GPS and AFS3400EE (EFIS/Engine Monitor).

I can also pass along some tips regarding the internal fuses in these components - when they blow - the box has to be shipped back to S-Tec for repair - they're NOT Experimental friendly - you have to go through an avionics shop - I've replaced these fuses with a different implementation and have had no problems since.

Welcome to VAF!

Ron, welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

I know it was not what you wanted to hear, but the above advice is right on.

Perhaps

While I agree with everyone regarding the Trutrak's as I have them in all of my airplanes, I also had the STEC-30 in my RV-6. It worked wonderfully for many years and was an easy installation in the wing, so I am thinking that you might not really have the right servo or perhaps STEC has changed something. Have you talked to their tech support people?

Vic

I have a S-TEC 30 installed in my RV6A and in spite of the unfavorable comments by some it has given me good service these last 12 years.
I have a picture of the installation in the wing but cant seem to post it on the forum so if you PM me with your email address I will send you a copy.

PS if anyone can explain how to post a photo it would be appreciated. In the FAQ it mentions "simply click the [Manage Attachments] button" but I don't seem to see the said button.

Barry

RV6A F-PRVM

SInce I replaced the soldered in fuses with receptacles for replaceable fuses, I have had to replace a few fuses - but that is a lot easier than shipping the unit back to S-Tec. They have not been experimental friendly in the past.

Meanwhile, I have a Tru-Trak waiting for install when I upgrade the panel - longer term project.

Since the S-Tec keeps working well, I'll keep using it.

s-tec

BARRY
I am building an rv6a at this time and am also putting into it an S-tec 30
into it, why did you choose the wing over the under the passenger seat location for the servo?
Did you draw up any plans for the mounting?

PS if anyone can explain how to post a photo it would be appreciated. In the FAQ it mentions "simply click the [Manage Attachments] button" but I don't seem to see the said button.

There is an explanation here: http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/ImagesInForums/images.htm

Bottom line is you have to upload the pictures to a picture hosting website (or your own website if you have one) and then paste the URL (link) in the "insert image" box. As indicated in the above link, there are lots of free picture hosting services available on the web.

I also installed in the wing - when I bought my install kit, S-Tec had an RV6A install kit with brackets...including the wing set.

Like others - I have pictures but they won't post here.....

You can PM me direct and I'll send you photos....

Back