What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Transponder Software Updates at Oshkosh 2018

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hello,

We will once again provide free software upgrades for Garmin Mode S transponders (and the GTX 327) used in Experimental aircraft at Oshkosh.

Just bring your GTX 327, 23ES/33ES/330/330ES, 35R/45R/335/335R/345/345R transponder in to us at the Garmin tent at Oshkosh and we will install the latest software into your transponder while you wait. It only takes a few minutes to accomplish this update.

Here are the latest versions:
GTX 23ES/33ES/330/330ES: V8.04, Jan 2018

GTX 35R/45R/335/335R/345/345R: V2.12, June 2018

GTX 327:
GTX 327 V2.10 software was released in Feb. 2014 and is the latest software for all GTX 327 units manufactured before July 2014.

GTX 327 V2.12 software was released in July 2014 to support newer hardware in the GTX 327 units manufactured after that date.

GTX 327 V2.13 software was released in Aug. 2017 to address an altitude reporting issue only when using a Gillham based altitude encoder with GTX 327 (011-00490-00) serial numbers 83750922 to 83752847 or GTX 327 (011-00490-10) serial numbers 84000356 to 84000357.

We are located across from the EAA Welcome Center and the Ford tent. If you look at the Airventure grounds map, this is grid K13. From homebuilt camping, just follow Knapp street South to Celebration Way (the main entry street) and turn left.

Sorry, but we are not equipped to perform sign-offs for certified aircraft, so please only bring us transponders that are installed in experimental aircraft.

Hope to see you at Oshkosh!

Oshkosh2015.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
For those not going to OSH this year, is the update available for download? When I wired my panel, I wired the DB9 connector to my GTX 23ES just to be able to do these updates.

Thanks

In person or via an SD card?

To expand on Jason's question, is this part of the normal G3x software update that's normally done with an S.D. card that's downloaded from the Garmin website?....or is this something that the transponder needs to be pulled and the update performed by a Garmin dealer? I have a new 45-R that hasn't been installed yet and I'm wondering if I should bring it with me to the show so that you guys can update it for me??

Mark

Steve,
For those not going to OSH this year, is the update available for download? When I wired my panel, I wired the DB9 connector to my GTX 23ES just to be able to do these updates.

Thanks

Hello Jason,

Sorry, we don't have any software downloads for transponders on our website.

Thanks,
Steve

To expand on Jason's question, is this part of the normal G3x software update that's normally done with an S.D. card that's downloaded from the Garmin website?....or is this something that the transponder needs to be pulled and the update performed by a Garmin dealer? I have a new 45-R that hasn't been installed yet and I'm wondering if I should bring it with me to the show so that you guys can update it for me??

Mark

Hello Mark,

The transponders are currently updated by Garmin dealers or by us at SNF and Oshkosh.

We would be happy to update your GTX 45R is you would like to bring it to us at Oshkosh.

Thanks,
Steve

Update

Thanks Steve,
It is great that you guys provide a path for us x guys to update our certified avionics. Looking forward to the GTN650 update as well. I will be having my GTX23Es done again this year.

Are you providing any updates for any other things like the 396?

Hello zmatt,

Yes, we will again be providing software updates for portables at the product support desk at Oshkosh.

Please check the list below for the latest software release so you don't stand in line when there is nothing new to install. The product support folks tell us that this happens a lot where customers bring up old portables only to find that they already have the latest software.

Aera 79X V5.50
Aera 660 V3.30
Aera 5XX V5.80
GPSMAP 69X V7.70
GPSMAP 496 V4.80
GPSMAP 396 V5.70
GPSMAP 296 V6.10
GPSMAP 295 V2.50
GPSMAP 196 V4.60

Thanks,
Steve

I have 1 23ES that is about two years old. Would like to avoid the weight penalty of bringing this to OSH. Is there any reason I would need an update? It will be integrated with a G3X and fed from a 430W.

Larry

I plan on stopping by. Do you have loaner Allen wrenches too? I?m on my way back from Alaska and didn?t bring one with me.

What benefit would I get from the new firmware with a legacy G3x (37x) and GTN 650 system by performing this update?

:confused: CJ

1. Where is the transponder firmware version displayed?

2. What does the newer firmware do for you?

3. Why can?t we EAB users do the update ourselves like every other Garmin product in the panel?

I have 1 23ES that is about two years old. Would like to avoid the weight penalty of bringing this to OSH. Is there any reason I would need an update? It will be integrated with a G3X and fed from a 430W.

Larry

Hello Larry,

Hard to say without knowing what software version is currently installed in the GTX 23ES.

In general, it is always best to stay up-to-date with even minor improvements.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
I plan on stopping by. Do you have loaner Allen wrenches too? I?m on my way back from Alaska and didn?t bring one with me.

What benefit would I get from the new firmware with a legacy G3x (37x) and GTN 650 system by performing this update?

I should have one with me if you need to borrow it. Assuming that the weather cooperates this weekend. It looks like the cold front will be hovering over Dayton Saturday morning.

Hello CJ,

Hope your trip is going well!

I am sure we could help you out with a wrench.

Without knowing what transponder and software version is being used, it would be hard to answer the question about benefit.

Thanks,
Steve

1. Where is the transponder firmware version displayed?

2. What does the newer firmware do for you?

3. Why can’t we EAB users do the update ourselves like every other Garmin product in the panel?

Hello Michael,

We would need to know which transponder you have and how it is installed (e.g. with G3X or G3X Touch system) to answer your questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello CJ,

Hope your trip is going well!

I am sure we could help you out with a wrench.

Without knowing what transponder and software version is being used, it would be hard to answer the question about benefit.

Thanks,
Steve

Oh yeah... 327! The trip is going great! So are the avionics!

:D CJ

I have 9 airplanes. 5 of which have GTX 327's and 2 of which have GTX 32s. Would it seem rude to bring more than a couple to the tent? I don't want to be "that guy".

Jim

I have 9 airplanes. 5 of which have GTX 327's and 2 of which have GTX 32s. Would it seem rude to bring more than a couple to the tent? I don't want to be "that guy".

Jim

In case you didn't know it, you're already "that guy" simply by the fact that you own 9 airplanes :eek:

Any update out there for the GTN6xx?

I updated to software version 6.41 last year sometime...

A quick search of the web is not helping me discover if there’s something later out there than that for my GTN625.

If there is, can I sneak by the Garmin tent with my unit while at the show and snag an update as well?

If updated, will I need access to a PC to re-update the Nav database on the SD card? I seem to recall that needed doing when going from 6.21 to 6.41.

Thanks,

Rob

Jim

Hello Jim,

If these are all EAB aircraft, we are happy to help and will enjoy meeting you.

No guarantees, however, that the folks in line behind you won't tell stories about you at beer-thirty. :)

To save yourself time, you might also review the GTX 327 software notes above. In general, if these are all pre-2014 units, and they have V2.10, they are up-to-date and can stay home.

If it is convenient, you might come by a little later in the week or in the late afternoon. Things generally slow down later in the week, and during air shows!

Thanks,
Steve

45-R update

Hey Steve,

Should my new, never installed, 45-R have the latest software installed or do you still recommend that I bring it with me to the show for an update??

Thanks,
Mark

Hey Steve,

Should my new, never installed, 45-R have the latest software installed or do you still recommend that I bring it with me to the show for an update??

Thanks,
Mark

Hello Mark,

It would all depend on when it was manufactured. V2.12 was STC approved in Jan. 2018, so that is probably when the factory started installing it in new units. If your unit was manufactured after this date, it should have the latest.

Mostly, we want everyone with a GTX 35R/45R using V2.10 or later, and this came out in Feb. 2017, so you could probably wait and see until you have your unit powered up to get the software version if you like.

Thanks,
Steve

GTX 335 version 2.12

A Garmin "Aviation Alert and Advisory" appears to show software version 2.12 was first issued August 28, 2017. I take it that the update you are kindly offering adds something but has not changed the version number?

A Garmin "Aviation Alert and Advisory" appears to show software version 2.12 was first issued August 28, 2017. I take it that the update you are kindly offering adds something but has not changed the version number?

Hello C-GRVT,

Certified software has many dates including things like TSO approval (certification) date, STC date, service bulletin issue date (to allow dealers to install software). Sometimes a software version is certified and is only available to a specific aircraft OEM for a while to incorporate into their TC before the software becomes widely available to the rest of us and a service bulletin is issued just for this purpose.

Our automatic system for sending out advisories about new software probably sends out more information than necessary at times, but that is probably better than too little.

No, we don't add things to software that has been certified or released without changing the software version. If you have V2.12 installed in your GTX 335, you have the one and only V2.12 and are good to go.

This is just one of the many reasons we ask that folks simply check their software version instead of trying to rely on manufacture or ship date since many things can "gate" the use of a new version of certified software in the factory.

Thanks,
Steve

So, I am wondering which firmware I have as my unit was purchased early 2014.

To save me some time, what is the procedure that will tell me what release I have loaded?

So, I am wondering which firmware I have as my unit was purchased early 2014.

To save me some time, what is the procedure that will tell me what release I have loaded?

Hello CJ,

You should be able to power-up your GTX 327 and see the software version displayed on the power-up screen.

Steve

Question: will I have to reprogram my GTX345 after the update?

I think I know the answer, no, since it is stored the chip.

Question: will I have to reprogram my GTX345 after the update?

I think I know the answer, no, since it is stored the chip.

Hello Alton,

You shouldn't have to, but it is always a good idea to snap some pictures of your various setup screens in case you ever need to restore the configuration.

The configuration module in your installation should even allow you to replace the transponder with another one without losing the settings.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks

Thanks for the help up at the show. I had forgotten the up-date for my 23 ES and ask at the desk at KOSH. Sure enough I was at 8.02 and there was an 8.04 for it. No problem while there, I pull it out that evening and dropped it off the next morning. Done while I sat in on the Garmin Pilot class. keep up the good work. Yours, R.E. A. III # 80888

Thanks Team Garmin, you guys updated my GTX327 in less than 5 minutes at KOSH yesterday. Keep up the great service and product support!:D

Yes, it?s easy, but you need the data. A while ago someone here on VAF was renting a 430W upgrade card for a reasonable price. Search the forums.

Hello,

We will once again provide free software upgrades for Garmin Mode S transponders (and the GTX 327) used in Experimental aircraft at Oshkosh.

Just bring your GTX 327…

I’m afraid I missed this opportunity, and now I need to update my GTX 327 to 2.10 (it’s at 2.05 now). I took the unit to my local avionics shop, they wouldn’t touch it, said the process was “too complicated.” I really don’t like the idea of buying a newer transponder just to get updated firmware. What are my options?

Brooks

XPDR Software Update

I’m afraid I missed this opportunity, and now I need to update my GTX 327 to 2.10 (it’s at 2.05 now). I took the unit to my local avionics shop, they wouldn’t touch it, said the process was “too complicated.” I really don’t like the idea of buying a newer transponder just to get updated firmware. What are my options?

Brooks

The software update is a rather simple process that any Garmin dealer should be able to complete for you. Can you please send us an email ([email protected]) with your contact information and we can help sort this out, and find you a shop that will be able to process the update for you?

Thanks,

Justin

Brooks

I see you're in Port Orchard. I'd be surprised if Canon Avionics at KAWO or Crown Avionics (Regal Air) at KPAE couldn't do it. Both are authorized Garmin dealers.

Last edited:
Thanks, a helpful gal in your aviation support department called me back with some referrals.

Brooks

The software update is a rather simple process that any Garmin dealer should be able to complete for you. Can you please send us an email ([email protected]) with your contact information and we can help sort this out, and find you a shop that will be able to process the update for you?

Thanks,

Justin

Back