What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

11 year old empennage kit?

I met a guy who has an 11 year old empennage kit that I can get for next to nothing. Anyone aware of any major kit changes for the 7 since then? I know Vans is the best source/authority but thought I would ask anyhow. Thanks for sharing any knowledge!

A cheap tail kit is a great way to start your project. Before you buy, inventory the kit to make sure it is complete and the parts are in good condition.

There are two service bulletins that should apply to that empennage. Incorporating them during the build should be a non-issue, but you do need to address them.

Service Bulletins

I met a guy who has an 11 year old empennage kit that I can get for next to nothing. Anyone aware of any major kit changes for the 7 since then? I know Vans is the best source/authority but thought I would ask anyhow. Thanks for sharing any knowledge!

Looks like the new rudder started shipping 2002 so your 11 year old kit may be close. There is also a recent SB on the HS and one on the elevator. It still sounds like a great deal.

Look here...https://www.vansaircraft.com/public/service-rv7.htm

Early 7 rudder

On the early kit,the skins are pre punched,not the ribs,after straightening & deburing,I would draw a line down the center of the flange,mark and drill the rivet line. This was done on an H post Jig,that latter became a wing stand.The early 7 rudder was changed out for the RV9 rudder with up grade kits sent to the original builders free of charge.The second up date has to do with doublers on the inboard spar and will be another expense. You will need a bill of sale from the registered owner to you and send this off to Vans.This is an important step as the builder number transfers to you as will the TAX bill when your all done.I hope this helps and welcome to the club.
RHill

I purchased my Tail kit in 2003. I don't know of any mods from then to now. I just applied the Front spar SB on it several days ago so I don't have as much to worry about in the future. I mounted it on my fuselage a couple of days ago. The newest mod at the time I got mine was the larger rudder. Frankly I liked the looks of the small rudder better but I think it had problems recovering from a spin in 1/4th turn or something like that. The big rudder fixed that issue but then again, you could sail a ship with the big rudder.

I bought my RV-8 tail kit in Jan '99, then "stored" it for 15 years. I'm building it per the plans it shipped with, plus the SB on the HS front spar. The folks at Van's said that's the way to do it, no problem.

I'm not sure when they started shipping the complete matched hole kits. I have to drill-on the pre-punched skins to the HS and VS ribs and forward spars with my kit. I elected to jig the HS and VS just like the -3s and -4s do.

While occasionally seeing conflicting advice from Van's on this site, most users experience good to excellent customer support in answering their questions. Especially from the "English accent" gentleman.

Thanks to all of the support staff at Van's. Gus, included. :)

[removed reference to a post that has been deleted at request of original poster; S. Buchanan]

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a bit harsh

Dang Stan,

Gus has gotten me about 90% through my 8A. I have always gotten prompt and good information from the folks at Vans. I am sorry that your experience has not been good, but I and countless others have received excellent service from builder support.

To the original question, an older tail kit will work just fine. If you have to mark and drill the ribs, that is an easy task. If you can get the tail kit cheap, go for it and build it!

Amen Steve,

All the folks at Van's have been super during my build... And now that I am flying I keep spreading the word about the aircraft
Smilin' Jack

[removed reference to a post that was deleted at request of original poster; S. Buchanan]

Well lets consider some statistical evidence that one might use to infer a different conclusion. Over 8000 aircraft flying and one can assume the great majority of those built by people who were doing this for the first time. One might logically assume those same builders might find occasion to need some assistance lest their aircraft would ever have flown. Vans has been by far the most successful kit maker by far so it is hard to understand how that could be if they provided no support.

So, in order to understand this enigma one might explore other plausible explanations. Building an airplane takes a certain will, degree of perseverance, curiosity, and willingness to learn. For some, therefore, it might just be a bridge too far.

Impossible to judge the particulars in this case so its left to each to draw their own conclusions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, I bought a project that had been passed around several times and the first time I called Vans for help, I was treated like I had just purchased the kit from them! They have helped me with parts inventories and with records from the original purchaser of my kit.

inventory

A cheap tail kit is a great way to start your project. Before you buy, inventory the kit to make sure it is complete and the parts are in good condition. . . .

Kyle is right.

Consider time vs. dollars. An accurate inventory may be difficult for a kit which is already partially built or has poorly marked parts. I've spent many hours trying to find/identify items in my pre-owned kit and often think of the time I might have saved by buying new from Van's instead.

BTW, Van's has always been very helpful.

What is the build number?

My emp kit was purchased back in 2002, Build #71147. It has the new larger rudder. The only other change is the SB for the front spar. $15 from Van's. If the build # is later then mine and all the parts are there and the workmanship is good then it sounds like a good opportunity.

Blasted English!

As one who is married to a lovely Englishwoman, I rather enjoy talking to the "guy with the English accent" at Van's. Nobody has mentioned it, but even Van's recommends that you carefully inspect the second-hand kit for corrosion if the blue plastic covering is still in place. I bought second hand and saved enough to make the minor irritations worthwhile. Good Luck and welcome to the crazy club of E-AB!

I purchased my emp kit in Jan 2003, kit# 71234.
A few months prior to that is when Van's made a change to this empennage.
Check the kit # and if it's later than mine, you have the latest kit, other than the recent SB issue.

14 year old RV-6 kit

I bought a 14+ year old RV-6 kit and consider it a great value. I wouldn't be building were it not for that. With that said, the situation I have is that the aluminum parts that are not alclad are quite darkened with oxidation. I am considering now how to clean and brighten those parts. Of course I can scotchbright, but some parts are already riveted together which makes cleaning with scotchbright difficult. Anyone have any experience and success with chemical brighteners?

etch

I bought a 14+ year old RV-6 kit and consider it a great value. I wouldn't be building were it not for that. With that said, the situation I have is that the aluminum parts that are not alclad are quite darkened with oxidation. I am considering now how to clean and brighten those parts. Of course I can scotchbright, but some parts are already riveted together which makes cleaning with scotchbright difficult. Anyone have any experience and success with chemical brighteners?

Acid etch then prime.

Glad that you guys had a great experience, I just did not. Maybe I got them on a bad day. Could be a personality thing as well.

Don't mistake what I am saying as criticism of their company as a whole. My kit was fantastic, and the fact that I only had to call them a handful of times for builders assistance is a tribute to that product.

So what did you do? Did Vans help you out?

Acid etch then prime.

If you acid etch parts that are assembled (as the poster noted), be VERY careful to completely and thoroughly rinse off the etchant (crevices, etc.). Otherwise you will create MORE risk for corrosion.

If it were me, I'd just clean up any un-primed assemblies with scotchbrite and use a self-etching primer. (and I'm an etch-alodine-epoxy prime guy).

Back