What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy frame groin punch!!

dwranda

Well Known Member
Well I was ready to rivet the skin to my canopy frame today to get ready to glue the canopy to it next week. I had noticed the fit on the right side had changed a little, but I thought it had to do with the 3 strengthening pieces between the frame and skin. I put the blank panel in for the first time with the canopy frame installed and there was a huge gap near the middle on the right. I discovered the tube on the frame had cracked. Talk about a punch in the groin!! I have an email in to Vans to see if it's something that could be welded or if I have to replace it and start over. UGH!! This was also the first time I realized that that tube and the huge gap between it and the skin on the outer edges are visible from inside the plane. Now I know why guys use fillers to fill in that gap to make it look nicer. For some reason I thought that tube was behind the panel when the canopy closed.
10zx1eg.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks like the countersink on that one was oversized and might have weakened the tubing.

It can be welded.

I made a "u" shaped die to hold the tube and used a dimple die in avery hand squeezer to make dimples, then refined with a countersink.

I did some welding on this piece, but not the tube, it will take some skill.

dont sweat it!

I broke this tube in half trying to "adjust" the tip up frame to the rest of the fuselage on a -7 build. Took it to a local machine shop that did TIG welding. I dropped it off on my way to morning coffee and $30 - 30 minutes later.... it was like new. Press on! The canopy of the pre -14 era can be a source of endless patience testing fun....

Well I was ready to rivet the skin to my canopy frame today to get ready to glue the canopy to it next week. I had noticed the fit on the right side had changed a little, but I thought it had to do with the 3 strengthening pieces between the frame and skin. I put the blank panel in for the first time with the canopy frame installed and there was a huge gap near the middle on the right. I discovered the tube on the frame had cracked. Talk about a punch in the groin!! I have an email in to Vans to see if it's something that could be welded or if I have to replace it and start over. UGH!! This was also the first time I realized that that tube and the huge gap between it and the skin on the outer edges are visible from inside the plane. Now I know why guys use fillers to fill in that gap to make it look nicer. For some reason I thought that tube was behind the panel when the canopy closed.
10zx1eg.jpg
[/IMG]

I broke this tube in half trying to "adjust" the tip up frame to the rest of the fuselage on a -7 build. Took it to a local machine shop that did TIG welding. I dropped it off on my way to morning coffee and $30 - 30 minutes later.... it was like new. Press on! The canopy of the pre -14 era can be a source of endless patience testing fun....

Easily weldable with tig or torch (I do both). Just bring it up to Montreal and I will do it for free :D. Walk into any welding shop with cold hard cash and they will do it, likely for a $20 bill. Clean it up, redrill and build on.

Most people are just gluing the canopy on now - avoids cracking. Worth considering. Search on sika flex.

Last edited:
I called shops around town and have an appointment tomorrow to get it welded. I am going to use Sika. I thought I would be doing that this week, but the crack held me up.

Back