What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Osh Campling Questions

Brantel

Well Known Member
Osh Camping Questions

So I am faced with the fact that due to the weather I may have to call an audible and drive to Osh. I have never done that and don't want to but.....

I have always either had offsite housing or camped by the plane.

Can you camp in HBC with no plane?

If so, what the heck do you do with your 4 wheeled vehicle?

If I must camp in Scholler, since I shipped a large support box to GES, how the heck am I going to pick it up without the help of the welcome wagon (54lbs)?

How does it work in Camp Scholler? Just find an open spot and claim it or ?

I feel like such a newbie! :( :confused: :eek:

Yeah I know I fat fingered the word camping on the title. I fixed it but it does not propagate....

Last edited:
Re: Oshkosh Camping

Have a little faith. The weather will work out, (I hope).
If it doesn?t and you know someone flying in maybe they will let you pitch a tent at their airplane.
Parking can be had just across from the new HBC shelter, don?t know the designation.

This message will self destruct in 10seconds. :eek:

Have a little faith. The weather will work out, (I hope).
If it doesn?t and you know someone flying in maybe they will let you pitch a tent at their airplane.
Parking can be had just across from the new HBC shelter, don?t know the designation.

This message will self destruct in 10seconds. :eek:

The parking back there is marked permit only????

Wasn?t last year. I know someone who parked there, and is planning on it again this year, unless something changed.

CNqi8txl.jpg

It looks to be clearing up for a Sunday arrival.
I'm watching as well & hoping for an opening coming up from Clearwater. I plan on a fuel stop a bit further west from your location. KBGF, Winchester

Last edited:
In looking at the map, it is not anywhere near to scale. I believe they may have the permit only lot shown farther to the north than it is. The lot was fairly small so maybe it is the one shown just to the north of the permit lot.

Brian, don't give up. You don't "have to" get there on Sat... I've been so heads down at work all week, I haven't had a chance to look at weather, and I don't even care. Came home tonight and TC said, weather.... ehh, for Sat. Still don't care, we're going to OSH! We'll get there when we get there and we ARE leaving Sat morning before the sun comes up. And we ARE camping with the airplane in HBC or bust.

The lot did change - in prior years it was the ?Orange? lot which was public parking. Things shifted around a bit this year and it is now part of the ?G? Lot. Lettered lots are permit only and color lots are public parking.

It looks to be clearing up for a Sunday arrival.
I'm watching as well & hoping for an opening coming up from Clearwater. I plan on a fuel stop a bit further west from your location. KBGF, Winchester

We go there often for pancakes! Great place to stop!

Hey Brian,
You guys could set up with me but I am getting there Sat and leaving early Tuesday morning. I am just there for the two main events. (party's)
Still don't know what you would do with the car.

Do what you are comfortable doing

Brian, I'm by no means an expert but no one has really answered your original question or given you any options so I'm going to attempt it. I'm in a similar situation as you but a bit more stubborn. I'm flying even if I leave Saturday and get there Monday. I look at it as more of an adventure so I may be camping at other airports along my route and my route may take me further West as I make my way up from Northwest Atlanta. If you decide to drive, you are more than welcome to camp next to my plane. I just need to know in advance so I an part at HBC instead of HBP. Just let me know sometime tomorrow. I'll text you my number (you've sent me your number before) and you can just let me know if you ended up driving and want me to park my plane at HBC.

Most importantly, do what you are comfortable doing... I hate to say it but sometimes we as "friends" push other pilot friends to do things that they are not comfortable doing without even realize we are doing it.

Hope to see you at Oshkosh.

Amir

You're welcome to camp at my plane. However, I do not plan to arrive until Sunday and staying through thursday. Wx looks a bit ugly, but I am sure I will find a way there some time on Sunday even if later in the day.

Larry

camping Sunday

This is my second time to KOSH and the first time in HBC. Going on Sunday. Is it pretty certain I will be able to camp in HBC? The event is getting so big.

This is my second time to KOSH and the first time in HBC. Going on Sunday. Is it pretty certain I will be able to camp in HBC? The event is getting so big.

There seems to always be room in HBC. The annex island helps a bunch!

weather for sunday is supposed to be better. Im here now after driving up. MVFR, but should be better later this afternoon. Windy.
BeAdvised if you drive, there is no acess to the show site until Monday, including food.
Tom

Brantel
If you end up in Shuler & need a cart to retrieve your gear, I have one of those fold up wagons, I think it’s rated at 60#
I’ll be pulling in to Shuler about dinner time Saturday.
A more important question, is the food venues open Sat & Sun?
Cell# 403-614-6142

Last edited:
Brantel
If you end up in Shuler & need a cart to retrieve your gear, I have one of those fold up wagons, I think it?s rated at 60#
I?ll be pulling in to Shuler about dinner time Saturday.
A more important question, is the food venues open Sat & Sun?
Cell# 403-614-6142

Some of them were open today, but very limited menus and nothing was precooked. It just took a little longer to get your food. We ate the place across from the homebuilt hq for lunch.

Some of them were open today, but very limited menus and nothing was precooked. It just took a little longer to get your food. We ate the place across from the homebuilt hq for lunch.

We saw Bob there and finished our food just before it poured. We?re at the south end of row 318 in HBC? stop by and say hi!

Yes.

This year, if you are coming Sunday you will be good. The weather here has held a lot of the HBC out of the camp grounds tell this evening and then it looks like tomarrow will be the big day to cram them in here. It is still raining here now,but not very heavy. The ceiling is dowm low right now, but this weather sould start clearing slowly after lunch time here. A number of planes got in yesterday around mid day,but only for acouple o hours, before the weather closed down again. The ground is wet but still feals furm far now. Hope you can make it, this s our first time in HBC as well. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Hi all,
I was reassured to read that there always seems to be room in HBC. Unfortunately Sunday evening's recorded message about GA camping space reports they're almost full. We won't arrive till midday Tuesday. Should we press on or just plan on camping off site?

If we really are going to get shut out, when will we find out? When checking the ATIS? At Fisk? After we land?

Thanks for your help.

It is normal to see GAC fill up. HBC normally never does. The annex island hardly has any planes in it right now. That may be because of the wet conditions prior but it should dry out today. Jeff?s team seem to always make room!

Back