What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reaching top Rotax engine mount bolts

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
I was able to reach easily to two bottom bolts to check torque. The upper ones are more challenging, especially the right side one. Should I remove the carburetors to get access, get a special tool or other means? I have the modified shroud so it is only an accessibility issue.

I remove the induction manifold bolts and lift it to get a socket and extension inserted. Sounds worse than it is, but be careful to not lose or damage the O-rings on the intake flanges. It's a 5 minute job.

I remove the induction manifold bolts and lift it to get a socket and extension inserted. Sounds worse than it is, but be careful to not lose or damage the O-rings on the intake flanges. It's a 5 minute job.

Thanks Rich, I will try this... and expect to hear from me if it doesn't work! :D

This update is for you fellows doing their first annual:
Rich's tip above works great, only 4 screws to remove on each intake manifold. The right side is a bit more hard to raise because of the electronic ignition module, requires some uplifting. The left side has a problem because you cannot put the wrench straight in. You will need the Ball Hex Bit Socket with a 6" minimum extension. Checkout the O rings on each admission pipe, if not careful they could fall on the ground.
The only open question about the process is what torque correction if any should be added on the left side due to the Ball Hex Socket?

I don't think any torque correction is required. All the torque is applied to the shaft of the Allen extension so as long as the Allen extension engages a small misalignment should be insignificant.

Back