What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is everything really included in the RV-12 kits?

scottmillhouse

Well Known Member
I have built the other RVs and am thinking of switching to a LSA 12. On the other RVs there are many $1000 of other things that are not included in kits or in Van's estimator. Besides tools, paint and expendables examples include antennas, boost pump, engine primer, seat belts, battery, farings, engine sensors, trim control, control stick handles and switches, static, pilot tube, fuze panel, wiring, switches, etc. This is besides the typical engine & flight instruments, radio, transponder, encoder, ELT, EFIS, GPS, engine, propeller.
So by Vans RV-12 forms I come up with $73,600 with lights, wheel pants, autopilot, touch display and ads-b excluding paint and expendables using the build your own tank and basic no option interior. Is that realistic or are there other hidden costs?

It's pretty realistic. Control stick grips are not included, and some items like lights and wheel pants are optional sub-kits (as you noted), but all the other things you listed are included in the basic kit. The engine primer is not required for a Rotax. It has a choke control. Some builders have added main gear leg fairings using cut-down RV-8 fairings and third party intersection fairings.

Last edited:
You will really want the Koger sunshade, it is not included. You need fiberglass fiber and epoxy and peel ply and a bag of flock and microballons. That is all cheap stuff. You will need some fiberglass filler like Smooth Ply.

The peel-and-stick wing walks are included. I used the paint-on thick stuff instead and think it to be a big improvement.

I fancied-up my instrument panel with engine control and N-Number labels made at a local trophy shop, rather than the peel/stick ones that vans supplied. The Vans other warning stickers were just fine and included.

You will likely want to buy additional nylon washers. I have them for every inspection plate and cowl screw.

I also used round-head screws and SS washers on my instrument panel attachment screws rather than countersinking them - liked the look better.

On the SLSA RV12s you see that they are covering the panel with peel-and-stick carbon-fiber-look vinyl. I did that in silver. That would be extra. Many just paint the panel.

NOT INCLUDED: Gust locks of any sort (see the mods thread). Canopy cover. Chocks. Pitot cover. Tow bar (Van's sells one.) The $12-in-parts-AOA mod. Fire extinguisher. Oil Filter Cutter. A (cheap) fitting to initially let you pressurize the oil tank for an initial system purge before 1st engine start. Some special lubes like various loc-tites and anti-seizes (spelled out in the plans when you read ahead.)

You will love building it!

Last edited:
I spent about $10K over the kit for stuff already listed. Most was spent on leather and temper foam upgrades.

Bill's summary above is right on

The Rotax engine is different and you might want to get the carb balancing pressure gauge kit from Lockwood...and a complete set of metric wrenches/sockets as well. If you are going to do your own engine maintenance, then investing into the Rotax courses is highly recommended.

Back