What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Selfie and wing GoPro mount for wing handle

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I fabricated a GoPro mount for the RV12 wing handle last night and went flying today.

A friend CNC'd a part and I used scrap aluminum to frame the opening of the hand hold.

072514 a.jpg

It is held by two screws sandwiching the top and bottom between the wing hand hold) and foam takes up the volume of the opening. I used foam to protect the paint and file the volume inside of the hand hold in the wing.

072514 b.jpg

This way I didn't permanently attach it to the wing. The top and bottom sandwich it to hold it in place. Easy on in a minute and padded with weather strip to protect the paint, thanks Bob for the CNC machining.

072514 c.jpg

A few pictures from that view, am still amazed how the little GoPro camera performs

G0020119.jpg

G0020132.jpg

aerodynamic effect???

hmmm, I see you're holding a little right rudder there to compensate for the massive drag and yaw effects eh? :rolleyes:
Nice pics, you did you get such nice stills from the video?

Looks cool.

I am curious why you didnt use the threaded hole in the top of the wing tie down bracket for the camera mount. I am still in teh building stages but that is likely where my cammera will go.

Alex

Because the sheet metal will cover that hole unless you drill it open yourself. Only the bottom skins have the hole already in them as it is expected that you will use for the tie-down rings. The upper ones for hoisting are considered a rather rare case and I assume that's why the skins are covering the threaded block on the top.

Uh Torsten, ever heard of a drill? If I recall correctly, it was threaded when we built that part of the wing too. When not photographing, would make a very nice machine gun mount as well.

Answering the above questions,

Dave ? yes Comanche Bob did the CNC work, I owe him lunch. I was going to order the tie down stock for the wing from Vans, but some scrap and Bob?s handy work it was done in 15 min.

Perry ? one of the features of the GOPRO is stills or video or both. I shot video and stills every 60 sec. (The sill timer is configurable for the time intervals) Video below.

Alex - MacPara beat me to the answer

video-thumb-72514.jpg

http://youtu.be/rd6xmNwqFAY?list=PLcMKgP6ZX1uVWTO2-mgZkNIO4iACkn6c1

In my kit the upper part of the wing tiedown brackets were drilled but not tapped. I tapped it. The skin covering it had a hole right there, sized for an LP 4-3 rivet. I installed the rivet rather than enlarging the hole because of no planned use for that. The rivet marks the spot to drill the hole should it be desired in the future.

Because the sheet metal will cover that hole unless you drill it open yourself. Only the bottom skins have the hole already in them as it is expected that you will use for the tie-down rings. The upper ones for hoisting are considered a rather rare case and I assume that's why the skins are covering the threaded block on the top.

Thanks that makes sense. I am a month or so away from skinning the wings so hadn't figured that there wasn't a hole in the skin.

Another question on camera mounts. Has anyone considered adding a dummy mount to the other wing to stop the plane yawing to one side?

Another question on camera mounts. Has anyone considered adding a dummy mount to the other wing to stop the plane yawing to one side?

The plane was not yawing, if any the wide angle lens makes it look like there is more rudder than there really is. I had a little Right rudder with the 35 - 40 deg banked turn.

Here's the bike handlebar GoPro mount:

And the view from the lens:

I can't say I've noticed any effect from the tip mount. I also have another mount on a spare fuselage access panel - good fun watching if the landings are on the runway centre line....

Really nice shot!

Very cool shot with the thunder storm and the rainbow in the back ground. Vans does a calendar made of of owner pics every year. Please consider sending that picture to Vans for the calendar. Really shows the freedom of flying and why we like it so much. :D

There is a small hole on top of the wing which I mistakenly drilled out (duh)...that when asked what that's for....I explain "my machine gun mount"!

Very cool shot with the thunder storm and the rainbow in the back ground. Vans does a calendar made of of owner pics every year. Please consider sending that picture to Vans for the calendar. Really shows the freedom of flying and why we like it so much. :D

Thanks, John. I did in fact submit the picture last year but didn't make it through the acceptance procedure... :(

Perhaps it'll appear in 2015.

I was lucky to get the shot as it doesn't often rain in England.... ;)

Another selfie from the passenger wing

Flight photo about an hour till sunset

20140824 KMSQ-0014.JPG

20140824 KMSQ-0016.JPG

20140824 KMSQ-0017.JPG

20140824 KMSQ-0018.JPG

Back