What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build order question

dweyant

Well Known Member
I need some guidance on build order.

I'm at the point in the fuselage kit where the instructions sort of taper off...

So I'm trying to decide what to do next. I know (think?) it doesn't matter to a large extent what I do, but I have a few considerations.

1 - I have my engine, but not my avionics. I'd like to put off the avionics purchase for a while still if possible. However, if I need to buy a few things now (soon) (VP-X?) that would be ok.

2 - I'm seriously considering getting some help to do my canopy (slider). He would like to start on it in the next month give or take. I would need to get the top skins on before he can do that.

I just installed the rudder pedals and fuel lines today. Floor pans are in, flap motor is in (still need to cut holes for the flap rods).

So my short question is, what do I do next?

My somewhat longer question is. If I concentrate on getting the top skins on, what do I need to get done first? What if any avionics should I put in first? What about in the tail cone? I'm working on the Static system today (waiting for the RTV to dry), have the rudder cables installed.

Thanks for any help!

-Dan

You mention top skins. The forward top fuselage skin, especially on a slider with a fixed windscreen, will be one of the last things you will want to do - and only after all avionics/panel wiring is complete. You can cleco that skin on to temporarily fit and trim the windscreen, but you will hate life if you rivet that skin on before wiring is complete.

As far as the tail cone, before top skins I would install, if you will need them, mounting trays for AHRS, ELT, strobes, and/or any other box that will need one. Also the AP servo bracket if you plan to install a servo. You can crawl in the tail cone to add the boxes later, but mounting trays/brackets that rivet in place will be MUCH harder to do once the top skin is on.

Once the aft top skins are on, working the slider is a good next step. Or if you needed to buy time, you could temporarily (or permanently) mount the engine and start fitting the cowl. Panel wiring will be easier though if you don't install the landing gear just yet - once the airplane is on gear it sits much higher and you'll be stepping up on elevated surfaces or ladders for all your wiring.

Kurt,

Thanks for the reply that helps!

Couple questions.

It sounds like if I'm understanding you correctly I can do a lot (most?) of the canopy work with just the front skin cleco'd into place?

The only things I can think of in the tail cone would be ELT, and AP servo. I'm likely going to go with the Garmin Touch so the ADAHRS will mount behind them I believe(?). All LED lights so no power supplies, just the wires for the strobe. Am I missing anything else?

Thanks,

-Dan

You mention top skins. The forward top fuselage skin, especially on a slider with a fixed windscreen, will be one of the last things you will want to do - and only after all avionics/panel wiring is complete. You can cleco that skin on to temporarily fit and trim the windscreen, but you will hate life if you rivet that skin on before wiring is complete.

As far as the tail cone, before top skins I would install, if you will need them, mounting trays for AHRS, ELT, strobes, and/or any other box that will need one. Also the AP servo bracket if you plan to install a servo. You can crawl in the tail cone to add the boxes later, but mounting trays/brackets that rivet in place will be MUCH harder to do once the top skin is on.

Once the aft top skins are on, working the slider is a good next step. Or if you needed to buy time, you could temporarily (or permanently) mount the engine and start fitting the cowl. Panel wiring will be easier though if you don't install the landing gear just yet - once the airplane is on gear it sits much higher and you'll be stepping up on elevated surfaces or ladders for all your wiring.

Tail light
Elevator trim
Flap position sensor
ELT antenna
Com antenna
Static lines
routing and anchoring wires and lines heading aft
Adjusting control linkages
Debugging wiring

Now might be a good time to plan your avionics. Choose vendors, make a solid model of all the selected components, where each connector points, each mounting screw sits, then you can know where all the wires route. This way you can install nut plates, (floaters as desired) make bridges, etc for all the hardware. Actually, I dreaded working upside down, but after getting comfortable it was not too bad. Getting in and out is another matter. Making a rotisserie to aid in this might allow you to stand/sit and work under the forward skin, and not draped over the spar. Mounting the engine to the mount, fitting the cowl, and removing can allow the rotisserie to function. If I do this again, it will he high on consideration.

Of course, if your system is simple all this prep may not pay off.

Good luck on your steps ahead.

Consider this. Appempt to embed a photo.

19274220_GQ2frj
[/url][/IMG]

Embed worked.
I used this platform to install the engine and cowls at a lower more comfortable level. The height on the platform is as low as I could live with and still have ~ 1/2 inch prop clearance from the floor.

Back