What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Top wing root fairing

The fairing is shown all flattened out on the drawing. The fairing shares 2 of the screws that hold on the fuel tank to the spar. Start by putting those screws through the fairing and work your way around the leading edge.

IMG_0104-M.jpg

Get it all lined up and bent around the leading edge, then open up the holes to #19 for the screws.

IMG_0109-M.jpg

Add platenuts and you are done.

And you'll need to trim the stock fairing to fit the fuselage shape with (IIRC) 1/4" to 3/8" clearance all the way around, to give room to install the rubber trim strip that seals against the fuse wall. On mine out of the box, the clearance varied quite a bit from nil to about 1/8" when I first fit it to the wing.

And you'll need to trim the stock fairing to fit the fuselage shape with (IIRC) 1/4" to 3/8" clearance all the way around, to give room to install the rubber trim strip that seals against the fuse wall. On mine out of the box, the clearance varied quite a bit from nil to about 1/8" when I first fit it to the wing.

Yep. Easiest way to do this is to lay a regular sharpie brand marker flat on the side of the fuselage with the tip pointed down to mark on the fairing. I found a shapie was exactly the right diameter to mark the proper clearance here.

My -7 plans show the fairing gap trim distance to be 1/4" maximum and 3/16 minimum.
For the 7, a 3/8" would be too large a gap.

Where on the drawings or instructions is the wing root fairing to fusalage gap dimension? I must be blind because I can not seem to find it.

Thanks in advance.

I dont remember where it was in the instructions but I do agree with Bob on the 3/16 to 1/4 range on the gap. Mine is tight and I have no issue with the seal coming off. No glue.

Back