What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting a Vantana Tandem MTB in an RV-10

Carlpretzel

Patron
Question, does anyone have the interior length of an RV-10 from the baggage area wall to the front seat? I have a tandem bicycle that may fit if I remove the wheels seats and handlebars. It measures 73 inches long (6'1"). I believe the bike will fit if I remove a passenger seat and copilot seat but I am not sure. I am currently building an RV-14 but if there is a chance this bike will fit I may need to consider an RV-10. I cannot find good information on cabin dimensions. The Vans website is limited.

You know that there is a structural 'bar' behind the rear seats, about shoulder-blade high, the full width of the plane. I can get two standard bikes in, rear seats removed, all bike tires off; one frame over that bar, one under. For a tandem I think it would be tight even with the right front removed. I think you need to find an actual -10 and do a test fit.

Okay, here are numbers off my cg chart:
Aft baggage bulkhead =189"
Aft end of front footwell=96"(about)
So net space 189-96 = 93". To use all this you might have to pull the right hand stick. But clearly there's enough length for a 73" length. But you need to check the width (height) of the nose fork and see of it fits without impinging on the pilot seat.

I'm assuming you mean Santana tandem. I've eyeballed mine next to my 10 and think it would fit without the wheels if I could get it in there. I have yet to try. We're planning on having a coupled tandem made by either Santana or Co-Motion in the spring. Then it will be easy. I'm pretty sure Santana would add couplers to yours if you sent them the frame. It would likely fit in your 14 at that point.

Bob that really does help, my plan is to remove the seats and handlebars so that width will not be a problem. I could go to the extreme and remove the front fork but I do not want to go that route.

Guy, not a Santana a Vantana 29" full suspension tandem MTB. We already have a Co-motion coupled tandem which fits very nicely into an A36 Bonanza. My wife props her legs on it during long trips. Santana owns the patent on couplers for aluminum frames. Our MTB tandem is Aluminum so I cannot modify the frame to accept couplers legally:(

How crazy are RV-10 owners to let a complete stranger come out and take measurements of the interior?

Back