What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

706 bulkhead inside flange

jibby212

Well Known Member
The 706 bulkhead has a lot to be desired in my opinion, flimsy, warped and an edge that just seems very unfinished. Im sure when everything comes together and the baggage rear cover is on everything is beautiful but that flimsy inner unflanged edge just bothers me. I am thinking about making forming blocks and bending a small flange aft, maybe 5/16 or 3\8, Im thinking less than a 90 degree bend. It would have to stop at the horizontal rib and the top rib and bellcrank channel, the bottom would be left untouched. It don't look like it would cause any problems and if it all worked out it would make me happy, any thoughts?

F706

The 706 bulkhead has a lot to be desired in my opinion, flimsy, warped and an edge that just seems very unfinished. Im sure when everything comes together and the baggage rear cover is on everything is beautiful but that flimsy inner unflanged edge just bothers me. I am thinking about making forming blocks and bending a small flange aft, maybe 5/16 or 3\8, Im thinking less than a 90 degree bend. It would have to stop at the horizontal rib and the top rib and bellcrank channel, the bottom would be left untouched. It don't look like it would cause any problems and if it all worked out it would make me happy, any thoughts?

Your choice but once everything is riveted or screwed, the F706 bulkhead is pretty solid. Remember the top flanges are not at a 90 degree angle because the top deck is angled.

I just thought of one possible negative effect, if the bulkhead had a flange and got hit during construction, it could buckle the flange.

Back