What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tempest or Champion plugs

Tempest

Plug manufacturing is high quality. The plugs are gapped & they have the proper level of resistance.

Plug this or Plug that?

Champ. had a problem for some time, but it looks like they have fixed it and the new ones we are seeing in the field are checking out good so far.
I like the Tempest plugs, myself. I think as it stands with the new batches, it is were you find the best deal right now. Yours R.E.A. III #80888

Yep, Tempest and a little rust!

I agree with Dan. I do like Tempest, one year on a new set and it shows the beginning of a little rust. A little bead blast and gone.... The plug gap does seem to get larger quicker than Champ though. All in all I like Tempest.
This was a highly scientific test.

Dan. Interesting...I've have 12 in my Bonanza and 4 in my RV for several years with not a trace of rust.

Last year at SNF I talked to the Tempest guys and they said they were changing the plating process to make the plugs more corrosion resistant. The older Autolites/unison and Tempest plugs corded quickly, the two new sets I put in local short wing Pipers still look like new. Maybe they have the plating problem worked out.

Back