What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Uniwrap silicone tape near the exhaust?

riobison

Well Known Member
Has anyone used this UNIWRAP SILICONE TAPE http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/uniwrap.php

on their Scat Hose that is on the Carb and Cabin heat? It will be within a couple inches of the exhaust pipe so it will be warm.

If you put a direct flame on it for a couple of seconds it will burn. But then again if you do the same to the scat hose or even the Red Silicone, they both burn as well.

It appears to be similar to the Rescue Tape.

Thanks

Tim

RTV tape = good stuff

RTV tape is good stuff. I wrapped an engine mount tube next to the exhaust so the exhaust pipe wouldn't scratch the mount when the engine tail wags the dog on shutdown. It's probably within one inch. You can see it behind the breather tube. It's been there for at least 200 hrs and shows no signs of heat damage. It's the best tape you can use in engine compartment. It has to wrapped around itself to hold.

but... why do you need tape around a scat hose? a worm drive screw clamp should be fine.

IMG_20150327_165903.jpg

Last edited:
Putting the tape around the scat hose to protect it where its attached to the brackets that are attached to the exhaust pipe to route the hose under the cowl.

That is why I was a little concerned about the actual Fire Rating of this stuff. I just put a strip around the Turbo on my Jeep for the Extreme Heat Test.

I'm using some tape instead of Tie Wraps on the motor mount for some small stuff. It appears that it will work for this so the long term test will be interesting.
Tim

On the wrap I had installed around the pipe between the Turbo and the Diesel Particulate Filter (4 inched above the filter), it passed . I had driven it for about 100 kilos yesterday with 80 kilos of it on the highway (good long steep hills to get it working and the exhaust temp up) plus the rest in town. No change to the tape at all, it's exactly the way I had installed it. Tough stuff this tape is. I doing think the Jeep has done its Re Gen thing yet. If it stands up to those temperatures I would be surprised.

Therefore, for my unofficial heat test so far I would say it has passed and will be safe for my use.

Tim

Back