What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Opinions on Oil Cooler

lr172

Well Known Member
I purchased a used SW 8406R oil cooler for my O-320. I pressure tested it to 120 PSI and it holds. However, I am getting Carbon and metal deposits when I fill and shake it (I run the fluid through a coffee filter after cleaning). My options are to have it cleaned (will probably cost close to $100) or purchase a comparably sized Mocal or Setrab cooler for about $130.

My thinking was that I may be better served by a new cooler, as the SW is a couple of decades old and I don't know the history other than coming from a running (albeit self-destructing) engine.

Any thoughts on the smarter path?

Thanks,

Larry

I rebuilt 100's of VW air-cooled engine, and NEVER reused a contaminated oil cooler. They have many tiny little turbulators inside and can never get all the debris out.

A new cooler is the lowest cost way to go.

Resurrecting....

I now plan to move my Vans supplied oil cooler from where the original builder installed it on the firewall, to the baffle location according to Vans plans - mostly to provide a more convenient and functional Red Cube mounting position. This is an O-360 A1A btw.

Question: should I have it cleaned/overhauled as a matter of conveinience? According to its ID plate, it was built in 1999 and has been installed on the aircraft since 2000. The aircraft has about 330 hours. Seems to work OK.

Last edited:
Back