What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Automatic Alt Air - what hinge?

ccrawford

Well Known Member
Searching around here on the forums, it seems a few folks have fabricated alternate air doors for their FABs that are spring loaded (vs manually opened/closed).

Can someone share the spring loaded hinge you are using for this? Not exactly sure where to start, so some pointers would be great.

Be careful! A number of people have had hardware fall off inside their FAB and get sucked into the engine.

Rubber

The FAB 180 I built came with a flapper alt air door.
It had a rubber hinge. Looked a lot like baffle material.

"The FAB 180 I built came with a flapper alt air door.
It had a rubber hinge. Looked a lot like baffle material."

Checked Vans SBs lately? They suggest this style be changed out because of unregulated openings.

Van's SB on airbox

"The FAB 180 I built came with a flapper alt air door.
It had a rubber hinge. Looked a lot like baffle material."

Checked Vans SBs lately? They suggest this style be changed out because of unregulated openings.

Yep, if the engine was 180 hp the magnet wasn't strong enought to hold the door closed. I had 160 hp with the 180 FAB. The next SB was for the pivioting steel door. They started having cracking problems with that one. And once you pulled the bowden cable to open it, you had to drop the bottom cowl to put it back in place.

Back