What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO360-B1E and RV-7

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Building an RV7 and am looking at what might be a very good IO360-B1E engine. I understand there must be some modification to work with the RV7. How difficult is this to do and what is the cost range?

Thanks

I put a B1E in mine. Came out of a Piper Arrow. The B1E has a rear facing sump. I purchased a Superior Cold Air sump, 1400$. You should be able to find a lycoming sump that would work from a aircraft used part business for much less. Other than that, mine had an old hartzell prop gov that came with it, and I just couldn't make it work because of the lack of space between the engine and firewall. Bought a new gov. Wound up buying a new starter too.

Thanks Mike. I am assuming the cold air horizontal or old vertical induction will work. This engine is coming off a salvage also, around 2100 TT with around 100 on the OH. Had a power off prop strike and has been tore down, sent off, inspected, and put back per Lycoming. I am planning on FP prop so I will not need the gov.

I swapped the sumps out and had no problems at all. One other thing I did was move the fuel divider over to the right side and turned it right side up. I used the old mount but remodeled it a little. I wanted to install new injector lines anyway. I got all that stuff at Aero In stock http://www.aeroinstock.net/ There is pictures on my blog.

I have a subaru powered RV7A thats waiting for some more parts before my -B1E goes on the front. keep us updated!

Asking price

I plan on making an offer on this engine. Are there any guidelines to follow on pricing for a used engine? I know there are many variables.

Thanks

Back