What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flap controller replacement

erich weaver

Well Known Member
The electric flaps on my -7A are only working intermittently lately. The problem seems to be in the small circuitboard controller that I believe came from Vans and that is currently installed in the same area as the flap motor. I liked the simplicity of it, with no set positions, just push switch up or down and monitor the flap position visually. This controller doesnt seem to be listed on the Vans website any longer though.

Any recommendations for a replacement? Would like to keep it simple and also keep the controller mounted in the same area if possible.

thanks

erich

During a period when the flaps were not operating, I checked that I was getting power to the controller and after that I hooked up the flap motor leads directly to a 12V source and it worked fine, so that would seem to indicate the problem is at the controller.

Erich

Here is a pic of the little circuit board controller I have. I thought this originally came from Vans, but maybe Im wrong? Can anybody confirm the source?

s3pwua.jpg

thanks

Erich

erich,

It doesn't look to me like there is much on that circuit board other than a relay that could go bad. I don't think I would be looking for a replacement board yet. Instead I would check the relay and decide if that was the problem.

After a little more digging it looks like that relay was discontinued by Panasonic. See link below.

http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Panasonic%20Electric%20Works%20PDFs/CF%20Relays.pdf

You probably need to look for an alternate source. There may be one available but it would take a little more digging.

I would check the relay outputs without the motor attached and see if it is switching. You should be able to hear the relay click when energized.

I wonder.....

If the relay is deemed OK:

That component on the far side looks like a polyfuse.
I wonder if the response characteristics of a polyfuse can degrade over time, giving intermittent function or could be that the flap motor is drawing more current now? Causing the polyfuse to trip?

Vans has now confirmed that they used to offer these but no longer do - they were discontinued by their supplier. Don't think I can easily do circuit board surgery, so think I am stuck with replacing this with one of the more sophisticated and higher dollar position sensing controllers like the ones currently offered by Vans or TCW Tech.

erich

Erich,

If you have given up on that board and want to send it to me then I'll take a look at if for you. I can rework the board if needed. I did do a little more searching and there are equivalent parts available to the relay. I would just need to study the relative pin placement to see if they could be used.

To Bill's point I haven't seen aging happen yet, but its technically possible. Motor changing operating current is again possible. You could easily check to see if it was happening by measuring the voltage after the polyfuse (yellow thingy) while you run your trim.

My bet is still with the relay. Relay's are known failure items with a limited lifetime.

Thank you for the very kind offer Ray. Let me take another look at it this weekend when I can get back to the plane and see if I can narrow it down to the relay. Hopefully it will cooperate and fail to work when I am ready! Will report back

erich

Ah Ha! Seems like a fit alright, and the price is right.
Thanks!
These relays are well made and last a long time. I have their relay and flap control unit which I love and have not had any issues with it in the last 7 years since installed.

Does it work now ?

Did you ever get this problem fixed and what was the outcome ? I'm looking for electric flaps so what should I steer away from ?

Back