What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need interior measurement on a RV7/7A tip up canopy

KiloFoxtrot

Well Known Member
I need a cockpit measurement taken from a 7/7A tip up canopy with the seat taken out.

I am presently working on my seats and cushion dimensions, but I am not yet at the point where my canopy is cut and installed. I would like to know if anyone can take a quick measurement from the middle hinge on their seat pan straight up to the inside of the canopy.

Second question:
Does anyone have seat templates for the fabric material and possibly the foam cushion dimensions for an RV7/7A. I picked up several high quality leather seat skins used for Lexus interiors and want to use them.

Thanks
Ken

Measured 90 degrees from canopy side rail. 41" high. How you trim your plexi when fitting will cause slight variation of this height in your project.

Thanks for taking the time to measure this for me. It is a good reference point. Agreed that it can vary.

I have been out of town but will be at the airport tomorrow and will take a measurement in my 9A tip up so you can see if there is much of a difference. The fuselage is the same so it should help you out. I can measure my seats if you want. Send me an email so I can send pics if you want them.

Edit: checked today and I am 40.75" straight up to the canopy. I did measure the seat cushions and took a few pictures if you want that info.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking your measurement on interior for me. Always helps to get another point of reference.

RockwoodRV9

I went back into the shop and looked at my seat foam cushions compared to the headroom, and yes if you do not mind sending pics that would be nice. Before getting my cushions covered in leather I want to be sure I have good view over panel and without hitting canopy.

Back