What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB Wings - Page 15-4, Step 3 Question

ERushing

Well Known Member
Either I'm confused or the QB Team forgot a bunch of dimples. (Or both)

"Dimple the holes in the ribs lower aft tab and the holes in the W-1007A-L Rear Spar Web lower flange that corresponds to the tabs"

If I'm not mistaken, that should mean that the holes in the flange of the rear spar corresponding to the little tab on the rib that sticks under that flange should be dimpled as well as the tab on the rib... on every rib. Correct?

If that's the case, neither the tab nor the spar flange has been dimpled.

I'll call Van's on Monday but it looks like my options are to either:
1) Machine countersink the rear spar OR
2) Dimple the flange and tab together

Has anyone else run into this with the QB wings?

The overall build quality is reasonable but not to the level I'd expect of someone who does this on a regular basis. I've already found several rivets that haven't been set particularly well and some that look like the bucking bar slipped off and they just didn't bother to fix the rivet!

Overall, probably still worth it in time savings but you'd think they'd fix their screw-ups given the premium we're paying! Perhaps my expectations are too high...

When I received my QBs wings, that step had been completed along with the attachment of W-1004 inboard wing skin.

Thanks for the reply, Bill! From a survey of one, sounds like I'm the outlier.

Note that the W-1004 inboard bottom skin was riveted on. It looks like they might have machine countersunk the rear spar vs dimpling it. The remainder of the rear spar and rib tabs corresponding to the W-1005 outboard skin were neither dimpled nor machine countersunk.

BTW - Did they drill and/or install the nutplates along the inboard edge of the wing pages 16-2 & 16-3. Un-drilled and un-installed on my wings...

I'll call Vans.

Last edited:
Hi Eric, you are not the outlier on this mine is the same. I was just going to dimple the rear spar flange with the tabs underneath. What did Vans have to say? Thanks,

Dave

Vans said "Perfectly fine to machine countersink. Those holes are not structural." That's my plan.

Thanks Eric,

I tested a dimple using scraps with the same thickness as the spar and the tab dimpling them together. That seemed to work fine as well. Sounds like either way is fine.

Dave

Back