What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Horn inspection plate - can it be plastic?

Saville

Well Known Member
One of the pre-flight points I've always been able to do, in the past, is visually check the connection between the elevator pushrod and the elevator horn to be sure it's secure.

On my RV-8, that is not possible.

I was wondering if the inspection plates under the horizontal stab are structural items. The idea would be to replace one of them with clear plastic so that I can see the connection inside.

But I wouldn't want to do that if the inspection plates are structurally important.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

I don't believe these are structural.

Recommend you verify that whatever material you use can't somehow break apart and end up jamming the elevator.

Carl

It is true there are RV's flying with it done, but I wouldn't. Particularly on a tail dragger.
They are somewhat structural. To what degree is unknown because no testing has ever been done.

I've seen some airplanes with small inspection windows on those panels.

Personally, at locations where I won't be able to visually inspect the bolt/linkage during preflight (e.g. wing bellcrank, control sticks, etc), I'm planning to use self-locking castellated nuts and a cotter pin.

Elevator pushrod attachment

One of the pre-flight points I've always been able to do, in the past, is visually check the connection between the elevator pushrod and the elevator horn to be sure it's secure.

On my RV-8, that is not possible.

I was wondering if the inspection plates under the horizontal stab are structural items. The idea would be to replace one of them with clear plastic so that I can see the connection inside.

But I wouldn't want to do that if the inspection plates are structurally important.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

It's pretty easy to check the elevator push-rod bolt for secureness by gently wiggling the elevator trailing edges in opposite directions during preflight. If the bolt is loose, there will be slop and play evident between the two elevators.

Skylor

clear plastic

I've had my elevator horn inspection plate in plastic for about 5 years with my RV-4 so I don't have to remove the plate when the aircraft is inspected at aerobatic contests. Things can get back there.
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
lower Alabama

An inspection plate is never structural. Go for it
Second. Under wing one's are structural. Confirmed it many years back with the factory. Edit - Maybe with the guy who just posted before me....

Last edited:
Back