What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aluminum and Carbon Fiber Spinners

Are you intersted in upgrading to an aftermarket Aluminum or Carbon Fiber Spinner?

• Total voters

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
I'm trying to gauge interest in quality Aluminum and Carbon Fiber spinners:

Aluminum Spinners ... $550US
Carbon Fiber Spinners ... $750US

Thoughts and opinions welcome!

Last edited:
Would you care to mention what the benefit would be to using a carbon fiber spinner (at a huge price point difference compared to standard)?

The reason I am asking is there is no failure issues with the standard spinner, so the only benefit I can see is if someone wanted to leave it unpainted to show that it was "carbon fiber".........

Would you care to mention what the benefit would be to using a carbon fiber spinner (at a huge price point difference compared to standard)?

I would think either aluminum or carbon fiber is strictly an aesthetic/ramp appeal upgrade.

Personally, I would love a carbon fiber spinner. So much in fact I've reached out to a hydro-dipping shop to get a factory spinner dipped and cleared to see how it turns out. My control sticks were dipped for a carbon fiber look and they turned out fantastic.

Last edited:
Catto carbon unique feature

I was surprised to see there was no front bulkhead for the spinner. A molded pilot tube goes into the prop for centering alignment. I don't know yet if it is "wobble free" but it was a convenient surprise.

I just compared the -14 spinner just received to a -8 spinner on the shelf. They are interchangeable.

Therefore, the way I see it; as previously stated the are no failure issues with the composite spinner sold by Vans. So where is the motivation to spend up for Carbon fiber?

Regarding aluminum; as long as Cummings sells their product priced at $380. How are you going to market against that price point?

Regarding aluminum; as long as Cummings sells their product priced at $380. How are you going to market against that price point?

Alan is MIA, nobody has heard from him in what seems like several months. No responses to emails over the last 4-5 weeks. As far as we can tell, he's out of business. Hope he's okay!

To make a similar spinner here and not outsource it to China the cost would be about $400 per (taking into consideration the initial purchase of a die).

Based on the low volume, you would need a relatively high margin to make it worth it.

Hence my post, feeling people out. I really love Aluminum spinners and there aren't any options out there.

Last edited:
Alan is MIA, nobody has heard from him in what seems like several months. No responses to emails over the last 4-5 weeks. As far as we can tell, he's out of business. Hope he's okay!

If you're talking about Allan of AntiSplatAero, he posted about an hour ago on "Several Surplus Items".

I intend to try to get a polished aluminum spinner for my -10 when I get the point of needing one. I love the look of polished spinners. For $550 for a longer more sleek looking spinner for the RV-10 and an MT 3 blade, it would be hard to beat.

That said, there may be other options for a shiny spinner...

Back