What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 38 update

rcarsey

Well Known Member
new revision of Section 38: Airframe Assembly has been released.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/service-rv12iS.htm

REVISION DESCRIPTION / NEW DOCUMENTATION:
  1. Page 38iS/U-02 REV 1: In Figure 2 detail view, added ?NAS1149F0332P?.
    Thin washer prevents premature bottoming of nut.
  2. Page 38iS/U-05 REV 1: Step 5, ?Use shims and clamps to secure the left and right flaperons in a trailing edge down position as
    shown in Figure 3. The goal is to have a 1/8 in. [3.2 mm] offset at the trailing edge.? was ?Use shims and clamps at the trailing edge
    to lock both the left and right flaperons in a slightly downward position as shown in Figure 3.?
    Updated Figure 3 to show smaller shims (that don?t interfere with rivet heads) and to show clamp at the trailing edge.
  3. Page 38iS/U-09 REV 1: Added new Step 1, ?Match-Drill #30 the two holes in each F-01207C-L-1 & -R-1 Baggage Bulkhead into the
    F-1284-L & -R Shear Clips. See Figure 1.?. Renumbered subsequent steps.
    Shear clips are supplied without holes in forward flanges.
  4. Page 38iS/U-17 REV 1: In Step 1, ??WD-01207-1 and WD-01208-1?? was ??WD-1207 and WD-1208??.
    Updated Figure 1 to show new stabilator structure (reference SB 18-02-02).
  5. Page 38iS/U-18 REV 1: Added new Step 8, ?Fabricate the T-01236 Fuel Overflow Sleeve by cutting a 1 in. [25.4 mm] piece of PT
    1/4IDX3/8ODX4? tubing.?. Renumbered subsequent step.
  6. Page 38iS/U-21 REV 1: In Step 2, added ?These seat cushions have been designed to suit most pilots. For adequate clearance to
    the canopy, very tall pilots may need to remove foam from the seat bottom cushion or source a custom seat cushion.?.

Sec S/U p. 11 shows the new MLG seals. That would be an nice upgrade for flying airplanes. One could just order the parts, but I'm hoping Van's will make it easy by offering a retro-fit kit. :)

i-rLqwzvZ-L.png

How about speed fairings?... :D

BuyPlaneParts.com (2) RV-12 Main Gear Leg to Fuselage Fairings $79.98

2iszbj8.png

Did you take any stats before and after fitting those ? I wonder what kind of impact they have to cruise speed

leg fairing

Jim,
What are the three screws screwed into, Rivnuts? Went to 'BuyPlaneParts.com' and I only found a set of four, two top and two bottoms. Can you order just the tops?
Thanks.

BuyPlaneParts.com will sell just the top half for landing gear/fuselage interface. I used rivets for mounting. I installed these fairings primarily to seal the fuselage opening and for the "cool' factor. I don't believe any speed advantage gained...

Last edited:
Back