What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No RV-9/9A plan ?gotchas??

Jimbot

Well Known Member
I?ve always wondered: Has anyone ever discovered any RV-9 / RV-9A plan ?gotchas?? Unlike some of the other RV models? model-specific threads, I don?t see a permanently-posted ?gotchas? listing for the 9/9A.

My EAA chapter is working on a 9A build project, and we?ve come across a few things so far in the midst of building the fuselage.

Thanks to all the RVers out there for all of the great comments/feedback on this website - y?all are greatly appreciated! :D

Just me

I just used the rv7 gotchas for the fuselage and engine stuff. For the wing and tail there arent many; what there are are covered very well in the ? overthehill ? build log.

Jim,
You should have stopped by NC26 this afternoon as I was there with my -9.

Follow the instructions and you will build a nice plane.

The only"gotcha" I can remember was there was no drawing or dimensions for the piece of aluminum that connects the angled channel that goes from the back brace down to the floor that covers the flap motor. It was easy enough to make.

Last edited:
Hey Jimbot,

The rudder stops didn't seem to work for mine when done per plans. Just make them oversize and keep filing/cutting until the rudder comes with about 1.5" of contacting the elevators. Some builders like to use the Delrin internal stop.

Send me a pic or two of your progress when you get a chance.

I?ve always wondered: Has anyone ever discovered any RV-9 / RV-9A plan ?gotchas??

:D

Jim I didn't find any. The drawings/manual were well written back in 2006. I didn't make any modifications everything stock everything by the plans no "gotchas" :)

Yes

Here is a gotcha. I mounted the electric fuel pump (facet) on the fire wall according to plan. I found it to be to low and had a difficult time making a tight 90 deg bend of the 3/8 aluminum tubing while also having to make a flare in the tube. My suggestion is to make the 90 deg bend/flare in the tubing first and this will determine where to best mount the pump. (Higher off the floor than the plan suggests)

Here is a gotcha. I mounted the electric fuel pump (facet) on the fire wall according to plan. I found it to be to low and had a difficult time making a tight 90 deg bend of the 3/8 aluminum tubing while also having to make a flare in the tube. My suggestion is to make the 90 deg bend/flare in the tubing first and this will determine where to best mount the pump. (Higher off the floor than the plan suggests)

After trashing a bunch of tubing, I put a Banjo Fitting to make that turn.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the great feedback! :D I will be sure to check out the 7/7A plan "gotchas" to see if things in certain situations apply to the 9/9A.

Gotcha thread

Ask the Moderators for a thread. That's what I did. Next day it magically appeared.

Back