What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine quits on role-out

ARJAY

my Lycoming 160 HP dies on role-out at our short grass strip. We have obstructions at both ends so I can't approach at a shallow angle and keep power on to prevent engine dying. It only dies on role-out when power is pulled on final. If taxiing later and power is pulled, it keeps running. Have tried idle settings from 650 to 750 rpm.

Is this fault common to Lycomings or is this a carb problem?

Mine too

I have my idle set less than 600 static rpm to give slower taxi, approach and landing with my fixed pitch prop. I say less than 600 because it quits about then. I just have to advance a notch after slowing to taxi speed. It has never quit in flight of course. I have fuel injection. Transition trainer Mike Seager has his 7 with CS prop slow like that too.

Had that suddenly happen to me one day years ago in my C-170 after years of trouble free operation. I'm no mechanic, but luckily my father was who just happened to be riding with me when it happened.
After checking a few things that ended up not having anything to do with the engine stopping on role out, he checked the o-ring in the fuel primer handle. It was old and checked. He gooped it up with fuel lube, reinstalled it, and it ran like a champ. Went to the hardware store when we got home and bought a new one. That engine ran happily ever after.
Tom

I am no engine guy but make sure your idle mixture adjustment screw on the carb is set so the rpm increases 30-50 rpms during idle when pulling the mixture (slowly) to engine cutoff. This per Lycoming owners manual. My 160 hp o320 idle mixture screw is about 1.5-2 turns out if I remember right.

Set your idle mixture. Good video on EAA. (Can be found here)

My XP O-320 will idle at 550 RPM. Fixed pitch (13 Lb) Catto two blade. Dual slick mags. Shakes like **** but does idle.

Carb bolts

Check your carb bolts. Same thing happened to me on roll out. Bolts were loose that connect the bottom part of the carb. Air was getting sucked through the side of the carb. I did not notice it with higher power settings. I have heard of this happening to another engine in an RV-8 also.

I'm betting it's idle setting vs idle mixture adjustment. They're critical to getting the idle down low and dependable.

I have my idle set at 420 on my O-320 160 carbed engine, and I am turning a Catto three-blade. It is super smooth down even at 390 (moved it back up, just to feel better.) The low rpm improves the braking. I have never had it die, except when it is cold and I pull all the way back. One difference might be I am running P-Mags, so the timing is retarded quite a bit at that speed. I think even with mags you should be fine. Perhaps an intake leak leaning it out?

Bob

my Lycoming 160 HP dies on role-out at our short grass strip. We have obstructions at both ends so I can't approach at a shallow angle and keep power on to prevent engine dying. It only dies on role-out when power is pulled on final. If taxiing later and power is pulled, it keeps running. Have tried idle settings from 650 to 750 rpm.

Is this fault common to Lycomings or is this a carb problem?

I had the same problem on my IO-360, and it turned out to be a too rich idle mixture.

John

Back