What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front Wheel and Tire Problems

dahugo

Gentlemen,

Forgive me if there is a post for this already, but I was not able to find one.

Over the last two or so years since my RV-9A has been flying, I have had 3 front flats and one main flat. I was able to replace the Van's supplied tubes on the mains with Michelin tubes and no problems since. However, the front tires on our RV-9A's are a funny size, 4.5X5 if I recall. I am unable to find a tube supplier other than Van's, and all my A&P friends tell me that it is the crappy tubes with valve stem problems that are causing all my flats on the front.

Do any of you know of a reputable manufacturer, such as Michelin, that makes a tube for the goofy sized front tire we have on our aircraft? If the answer is "yes," please tell me where I can get some of these top-quality tubes that won't leave me stranded.

If the answer is "no," does anyone have all the specs and parts list to change our 4.5X5 fronts with a normal 5X5 so I can get a good-quality front tire for my aircraft?

Thanks for your time.

Front tire is an 11/400-5. I got the nice two groove tire and a new tube from Desser Tire and have not ever had an issue. Keeping tire pressure at 50 lbs here. If you are running low pressure will will have issues.

Last edited:
Or better yet just get rid of the tube by replacing it with the Beringer tubeless front wheel assy :D

Better Check Your Tire's Pressure

Uneven pressure may have been one of its causes. As for me, it has always been my habit to check if the tire pressure is set evenly using my Digital Tire Gauge from Mountaincrest. You better consider this factor too, it might have been a great factor you have not known for long.

Are you using tire talc when doing an installation. I wasn't and had the same problems and have not had a flat since.

Gentlemen,

Forgive me if there is a post for this already, but I was not able to find one.

Over the last two or so years since my RV-9A has been flying, I have had 3 front flats and one main flat. I was able to replace the Van's supplied tubes on the mains with Michelin tubes and no problems since. However, the front tires on our RV-9A's are a funny size, 4.5X5 if I recall. I am unable to find a tube supplier other than Van's, and all my A&P friends tell me that it is the crappy tubes with valve stem problems that are causing all my flats on the front.

Do any of you know of a reputable manufacturer, such as Michelin, that makes a tube for the goofy sized front tire we have on our aircraft? If the answer is "yes," please tell me where I can get some of these top-quality tubes that won't leave me stranded.

If the answer is "no," does anyone have all the specs and parts list to change our 4.5X5 fronts with a normal 5X5 so I can get a good-quality front tire for my aircraft?

Thanks for your time.

... Have a look at this post;http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=117442 I posted this in the discussions section as it applies to all models. Thanks, Allan

Back