What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
I was fitting the longerons and I positioned them about half inch too far aft. They should be lined-up with the flange of the F-712 bulkhead

So what's the collective wisdom of this forum. I can widen the notch I cut in the longeron that I made for the F-711C and slide the longeron forward half an inch, but will that impact strength? Make some sort of patch?

Thanks,

Tom

Are all the other bends and twists in the right place? or are they now 1/2" too far back?

There is a good chunk that is cut off of the front when the firewall assy is fitted, so it's not like that 1/2" is critical to the overall dimensions of the longeron.

I think a call to Vans would be needed for advice on enlarging the notch in the Longeron.

Slide a piece of steel sheet between it and the skin and carefully cut off the longeron where it should be with a disk. Use a small file to clean up the edge as best you can or a small scotch bright wheel. It won't be perfect but you will forget all about that quickly enough. Will that work for you?

Last edited:
?..
There is a good chunk that is cut off of the front when the firewall assy is fitted, so it's not like that 1/2" is critical to the overall dimensions of the longeron. ...

Yes, fit your firewall before declaring defeat. I had to trim about 3/4 inch off the front of the longerons on my -7.

Twist and shout

Yeah, all the bends and twists are in them, but it shouldn't be too much trouble to adjust that.

I'll see what Vans says too.

Thanks all

Last edited:
Still need to trim the top flange

The top flange of the angle still needs to be cut. The side flange can extend to the edge of the skin.

No need to panic. You can trim the aft edge on the top. The forward part of the longeron gets trimmed later, so you should have plenty of length even if it is pulled back too far.

Here are some pictures of mine.
IMG_8725-M.jpg

IMG_8726-M.jpg

Back