What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Glare Shield Cover

ten4teg

Well Known Member
Does anybody make a nice Glare Shield Cover for the RV8. I tried to make my own, but have not been happy with them. I have seen some nice padded ones on some RV's, but don't know where they got them. Thanks

I made mine from a very nice, black, padded shelf liner which i found at the Lowes AVIATION dept. in the isle with all the shelf contact paper etc. I just cut it to fit and used spray adhesive to glue it down.I then put automotive door edge protector (auto zone) along the edge, to dress up the edge. Looks really good.
Nordo

Flightline Interiors

I had Abby of Flightline Interiors make mine. I made a paper template for her. I haven't installed it yet as the aircraft is in the paint shop.
Don

The paper pattern sounds like a great staring point! I've wanted "dress mine up a little and will add is to the winter project list.

Ideas....

Does anybody make a nice Glare Shield Cover for the RV8. I tried to make my own, but have not been happy with them. I have seen some nice padded ones on some RV's, but don't know where they got them. Thanks
Cleaveland Tool has glareshield vinyl I installed on the -8 with rubber cement. It would be easy enough to add padding underneath if you so desire. For edge treatment, I wanted a more rounded, bulbous look so instead of using the common coaming we often see, I installed a length of split airhose. Not wanting to waste the coaming I previously bought and then decided not to use, if you look closely you can see I did use it to dress the edge of the Plexiglas. The picture on Cleaveland's website can be misleading:

http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GSF15

aayccj.jpg

Last edited:
Jerry Hatton makes a great fiberglass cover

An 8 builder/driver in Florida, Jerry Hatton, makes a P-51 style fiberglass glare shield cover which is really nice. It has the added benefit of hiding your GPS and XM antennas, as well as providing a little space for annunciator lights. I will get Jerry's contact information when I get home tonight and post it.

Make that Jerry Cornwell makes a great Fiberglass cover

I completely messed up Jerry's last name, but he has a beautiful 8 and he makes a neat cover. His number is 386-688-9341.

Back