What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Doghouse to Slider Seal

ten4teg

Well Known Member
What are builders using to secure the nylon Slider Seal to the Birdhouse on the canopy. I didn't see any mention of this in the directions or drawings. Thanks

Does anybody even install it?

Not sure, but I think you will find that most people do not. I will be curious to see what folks say.

What are builders using to secure the nylon Slider Seal to the Birdhouse on the canopy. I didn't see any mention of this in the directions or drawings. Thanks

Drawing 42 makes mention of the lanyard. See view G-G. I rigged mine using a piece of nylon covered fishing leader and crimps. Getting the length right was a little tricky, but the leader material is cheap.

Dave

Fiberwire

Being an orthopaedic surgeon, I used some wasted suture material called Fiberwire. It is a braided suture material that is increddibly strong. We use it for rotator cuff repairs and anterior cruciate ligament repairs. So probably a braided fishing leader would also work.

Bill Near
-7A flying

I boogered up the nylon slide piece so I just never installed it. The sharp cornered block really doesn't seal all that well inside the rounded doghouse anyway. I plan to use foam strips inside the doghouse after painting the plane.

I'd really like to have more info about the Lanyard. nothing but pointing to where it terminates. what is it to do for you, where does the other end go? and that drawing you speak up looks like a "hook" of some sort behind the slider block. NOTHING in the text that I can find about it. Sorry. Newby to the building on an RV. jim

10 year old thread so none of the original guys may reply.

Basically, the turbulent airflow in that area is blowing forward. Like a pickup truck on the highway with the back window open. The doghouse covers the slider track but since the track is T shaped, no matter how well you get the doghouse to fit, the open areas under the cross bar of the T are going to be open for a draft of air to blow forward into the aft cockpit.

The idea is for the white delrin block to sit on the track and do a better job of plugging up that hole. Because the canopy skirt pops up when open the block cant just be attached to the skirt. When you open the canopy, the aft frame slide pushes the block aft with it, and the lanyard is to pull it back into position when you close that canopy again.

Here's a picture of mine when I was working on the skirts. Fiberglass skirt, but the same idea as the aluminum doghouse. I'm still under construction and don't have a lanyard installed yet but without it, when I open the canopy, it pushes that block aft on the slider track where it would just stay forever because there's nothing to pull its back forward when you close the canopy.

The lanyard is just a piece of fishing line/fine wire/whatever works with one end attach to the block and the other end attached to the canopy frame to pull it back forward with the canopy.

Yeah, that drawing sucks. The thing you're interpreting as a hook it just meant to show a loose line.

Attachments

• IMG_8798.jpeg
    IMG_8798.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 45
I have some pictures of my installation here. I recall it took several tries to get the lanyard to be just the right length, but it actually works pretty well with my molded fiberglass rear skirts. One piece of advice, it's easier to install from outside the fuselage - tie one end to the slider block, then reach up and thread the other end around the attachment for the C-661 slide block. (Edit: I recall I used a slip knot somewhere in there to make it less difficult to tie)

20230727_canopy_seal2.jpg

20230727_canopy_seal3.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome information thanks for taking the time! Just getting into "finishing" type work so sadly you'll probably be seeing me pop up often! jim

Back