What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Rivets

ten4teg

Well Known Member
Can any changes be made to the RV12 and maintain the E-LSA i.e. could countersunk pull rivets be used instead of round head pull rivets? I hate the look of the round head rivets on the airplane. I am sure some of you already building has asked these questions.

Flush or driven rivets

...are a no-no. The waay I understand it, an aircraft built under the E-LSA rule must be build EXACTLY as the manufacture designed it. We are limited as to our top speed and stall speed and changing out the rivets would 'clean up' the air surfaces and increase both speeds.
Meade and George

RV 12 rivets

OK the short and simple ansewer is no it must be uilt per the plans, ....BUT if money is not an issue you could build the aircraft per the plans and get it FAA approved, then you can make any changes that you wish (so long as it still meets the LSA requirements) so with a RV-12 the wings come right off and you could build a second set with the wings flush rivited if you like, you could use normal rivits on one side and pulled countersunk rivets on the other and just put the wings on your aircraft.

Of course if you have a friend who has a RV-12 with plans built wings who would let you use them to get it approved then you would not have to build two sets of wings. It will add a lot of work and it may just make it to fast.

Good luck.

Best regards,
Vern

Why?

...are a no-no. The waay I understand it, an aircraft built under the E-LSA rule must be build EXACTLY as the manufacture designed it. We are limited as to our top speed and stall speed and changing out the rivets would 'clean up' the air surfaces and increase both speeds.
Meade and George

Why would cleaning up the airframe increase stall speeds? I don't think so.

You can keep an LSA in spec by pitching the prop so the top speed can't be exceeded at maximum continuous RPM. Cleaning up an LSA with flush rivets, wheel pants, etc, has value even without increased cruise speed. Improved fuel economy and increased climb rate.

AND - since power is a function of MP and RPM, you could actually cruise closer to top speed with less drag since the engine could run at acceptable % power outputs.

None of this violates the fundimental LSA rules.

The E-LSA rule is about building exactly to plans is another matter. Hopefully some builders will get experimental approval for their 12s and this won't be an issue.

If you are deviating on basic airframe issues, why not wait and see if the -12 will be able to be made E-AB?

--Bill

Back