What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument Panel Thoughts

joew

Well Known Member
Among other things on my mind here in Kabul one of the more pleasant thoughts is that of coming home to resume building my -7. I am trying to get my arms around panel issues and really like the G3X. Does it show AOA? Cost is always an issue and Stein gave me a reasonable estimate for both an assembled panel and for just the harness. Trying to keep costs down initially, what are your thoughts or suggestions? I would like to eventually add (as I get the cash) another G3X screen and a 430W NavCom.

What about the Trio GX pro auto pilot-I've searched and there is not much out there about that. The price seems right.

Thanks for your time and input. It seems that these cockpit decisions and the engine choices are overwhelming.

Joe

Anyone......

I've read some of the other threads. Does anyone have any additional information? Is the Dynon pitot compatible with the G3X. Are the servo mounts for TT compatible with Trio?

I'm sure I'm not the only one here at this confusing step. I guess if I go G3X I lose AOA unless I install a separate system.

Ideas?

I've read some of the other threads. Does anyone have any additional information? Is the Dynon pitot compatible with the G3X. Are the servo mounts for TT compatible with Trio?

I'm sure I'm not the only one here at this confusing step. I guess if I go G3X I lose AOA unless I install a separate system.

Ideas?

A pitot is a pitot. With that said, you'll lose the additional proprietary features like the AOA. I believe that will only function with a Dynon EFIS.

I can't answer your question about the mounts. I have TT system. Drop Trio and email and ask, would be my advice.

You may want to also do the same on the Ohio RVator's email list on Yahoo to see if anyone in the local area has experience.

I'm just curious, why the Trio over the TT?

bob

Trio had a GX Pro auto pilot. I dont know a lot about it, but the price looks good and appears to function similar to the TT.

I'll check on the mounts.

Thanks

I am trying to get my arms around panel issues and really like the G3X. Does it show AOA?
Joe

Joe,

Thank you for considering the Garmin G3X for your RV-7.

Garmin hasn?t ruled out providing an AOA readout on the G3X, but does not yet offer this capability.

As others have pointed out on this site, the value of displaying AOA on the EFIS may be low compared to having a dedicated AOA gauge up high where you are looking when landing.

Steve

Closer

Thanks for the responses!! Just when I think I'm going one way, I head another. I bought a Dynon heated pitot with the hope that if Garmin did go AOA in the future, I might be able to use the port. Prices were similiar anyway, so nothing is lost.

I'm really leaning to the Trio G3X pro. In speaking with Trio, none of their mounts are compatable with the other manufactures and I need to install the servo at the same time I install the mount. No biggie.

The features of that system seem great for the price, The system will do an auto 180. Will maintain straight and level in event I lose my G3X AHRS (internal baro system in the AP) and will take external lateral navigation input from another GPS (either mounted or portable). I like the redundancy.

Also the Trio uses the same serial port so no other hook-ups are needed.

All in all it seems like a good bang for the buck.

Back