What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Stick Length

ten4teg

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to install my stick grips. Do the sticks have to be cut or are they okay as received. Thanks

I don't recall if the length is "per plans"...obviously, you'll want to look at the plans for this. But, I cut both of mine down a little bit. You don't want to take off more than an inch or so, because you're giving up leverage and it makes the control forces seem "heavier".

It totally depends on the stick grip that you use. I had to cut mine down quite a bit to clear the panel (and engine controls) in all positions.

Scott called it...

If you use CH grips, you'll need to cut off 7" or so, If you use Ray Allen grips, you may not need to cut any off. Need your grips in your grip ;) before you can determine stick length.

stick clearance

Are you Kidding? bust me now.

I think that Mel (an in DAR) specifically checks for a minimum of 1" of clearance between the very top of the stick and the panel. Here's a reference specifying "thumb clearance".

First question I would ask is WHY. Why do you need to clear the panel. Give a logical, reasonable explaination and I will gladly cut my stick to clear the panel as it does not now. Secondly I have flown my airplane in hammerheads, 3 spin turns. loops, cuban 8's and rolls. I never needed anything more than centering the stick to forward pressure. I choke down on the stick for formation flying ( I'm not good at it, but I try) and I like the length of the stick for landing to be longer.

I only offer this as a friendly query and offer my reasons of why I should leave it alone.

Tad Sargent

Last edited:

First question I would ask is WHY. Why do you need to clear the panel. Give a logical, reasonable explaination and I will gladly cut my stick to clear the panel as it does not now. Secondly I have flown my airplane in hammerheads, 3 spin turns. loops, cuban 8's and rolls. I never needed anything more than centering the stick to forward pressure. I choke down on the stick for formation flying ( I'm not good at it, but I try) and I like the length of the stick for landing to be longer.

I only offer this as a friendly query and offer my reasons of why I should leave it alone.

Tad Sargent

I fully agree with the concept that if you can get any part of the physical control SYSTEM locked up on anything across its entire length of travel, it is not airworthy (period).

The obvious answer would be for full movement of elevator and aileron as in the specs. And a thumb on top could also restrict that.

BTW--- Did you hear about the removable passenger stick that decided to come loose and get stuck under the panel while the plane was still in flight? :eek:

L.Adamson ---RV6A

stick length

Were not talking about the same issue here.

I take issue with a "Requirement of a "blank" amount of space" or it is a failure.

Clearly a control "Locking up" is a horrible setup. The thread is implying that if the stick TOUCHES something it is too long.

What your stick "Feels like" in flight is not the issue.

I reccomend you fly your airplane in what ever configuration you wish and some time during that flight you push your stick full forward to the panel. I hope your pucker factor will be so great that you wont get past 1 inch of center before you quickly pull back to straight and level.

There is no parameter of flight in which full forward of the elevator control is required unless maybe a flat spin.

Tad Sargent

There is no parameter of flight in which full forward of the elevator control is required unless maybe a flat spin.

Just two day's ago...............my stick was actually full foward just to keep the nose gear light while taxiing. The wind from behind was really a blowin..

Usually, I'm full back for the same taxi.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Tad Sargent

I think the simple question is if you have full control surface deflection per design specs. If you do, then you would be good to go. if not, then you're not meeting the intent of the designer. If you rig the stick per van's documentation, then to get the full "down" elevator called for in the specs, I think the stick has to go forward of the panel. If you make the "neutral point" of the stick farther aft than spec, then you probably can get full down elevator with the stick aft of the panel - then you have to make sure that you can still get full "up" elevator before you run out of stick travel.

I'm putting that out there for folks who are still rigging their controls, for their consideration.

Then would you be comfortable with adjusting your elevator down stop to "just past neutral"?

And are you saying that your airplane is immune to flat spins?

Last edited:
Positive clearance

Were not talking about the same issue here.

I take issue with a "Requirement of a "blank" amount of space" or it is a failure.

Clearly a control "Locking up" is a horrible setup. The thread is implying that if the stick TOUCHES something it is too long.

The stick, or hand in its natural position(s) on the stick, being able to come in contact with any structure that is not meant to be a control stop, is a problem. That much should be obvious for all the reasons already mentioned.

If your contention is that a requirement for one inch of clearance is somewhat arbitrary (i.e. why not half an inch, why not two inches?), then fair enough. But a hard requirement for positive clearance is not arbitrary. Positive clearance means clearance greater than zero under all conditions.

And a general recommendation for no less than one inch of clearance, the approximate width of a thumb, while perhaps not a hard requirement seems like a very sensible "rule of thumb".

Back