What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Method of Measuring Control Cables

ten4teg

Well Known Member
Can someone provide the correct method to measure custom length control cables: throttle, prop, mixture. Do you measure from the threaded end to end or do you measure from where they mount, or both. Is there a drawing that spells it out. Thanks

I too have been wondering how this is done as I have to order some cables and its a long way to return from Australia if they are wrong. Looking forward to some wisdom on this one.

If you know the correct size in the vernier style, the same size in the custom length should be OK for the quadrant if you locate the quadant where the vernier cables normally go. That's what I did when I decided to go the quadrant route. Using the recommended lengths that come with the FWF kit, based on engine used, I substituted Custom cables of the same length.

Roberta

There are two places to check...

The first is Aircraft Spruce & Specialty. Their catalogue dedicates several paragraphs on how to measure for a custom length control cable. I personally did not find the information detailed enough to make a definitive measurement.

The other place is acsproductsaz.com It looks like they are the suppliers to Aircraft Spruce. Their web site provides a simplified engineering drawing of several cable assemblies and where the length measurements are made.

Hope that helps.

Best Source and length???

OK. Does anyone REALLY know the right length for the mixture cable if using a quadrant and the AirFlow Performance Fuel system on an RV-10, AND the best source? Mine has started sticking and I want to replace it ASAP, and would like to get one ordered without having to take the cowling off to measure it. I originally used the green ones from Van's, and have about 220 hours on them.

Thanks.

Vic

OK. Does anyone REALLY know the right length for the mixture cable if using a quadrant and the AirFlow Performance Fuel system on an RV-10, AND the best source? Mine has started sticking and I want to replace it ASAP, and would like to get one ordered without having to take the cowling off to measure it. I originally used the green ones from Van's, and have about 220 hours on them.

Thanks.

Vic

I have a source that Dave Saylor turned me on to, but the info is at the house. I'll try to remember to forward it to you late this evening. It's a Cablecraft reseller that specializes in non-aviation vehicles, so the normal caveats apply. They were significantly less expensive than the ACS ones.

I have to make the same measurments, but I'm sure my measurements will be a little longer than you need. I have an Aerosport panel, which will require about an additional 3" length. I also have the Rod Bower Ram Air unit, so my FM-200 is horizontal. This means that the mixture and throttle arms are also an additional couple inches further forward that if the FM-200 was mounted in it's traditional vertical orientation.

bob

Per Dave Saylor:

I replaced the stock cables with 47" for the prop, 51" for mixture and 72"
for the prop. I got the cables from a local cablecraft distributor. Also,
ask for the highest temp rating you can get. The green cables from Vans
aren't the best. A set of replacement cables should be $200 or less.

The vendor is California Push-Pull in Chico, CA. Talk to Frank.

http://www.push-pull.com/

176-VTT-2-51
176-VTT-2-47
176-VTT-2-72

These are for the mixture, throttle and prop respectively.

Ask for Frank if you need a live person. He knows what they're going on.

The cable tags will say "not for use on aircraft", which usually means they know you're using it on an aircraft

-----

Hope this helps!

bob

Can someone provide the correct method to measure custom length control cables: throttle, prop, mixture. Do you measure from the threaded end to end or do you measure from where they mount, or both. Is there a drawing that spells it out. Thanks

Found this thread doing a search. I'm wondering the same thing and the original question really wasn't answered here.

Van's sells several different lengths of control cables for throttle, mixture, prop. What is the length Van's calls out? My assumption from looking around on the web is that it is probably the length from the mounting surface in the cabin to the end of the threaded end when the cable is fully pushed in.

Also what is the distance between the end of the threaded end and where it mounts firewall forward. Can anyone give me an idea of how many inches this measurement is? I'm just trying to get an idea of which cables may fit my installation requirements (non-standard IO-320 with Airflow Performance fuel injection and cable penetrations up on the firewall recess). Looks like the required throws for the cables are 2.25" for the AFP throttle and mixture using the holes on the provided control arms.

Thread's a little old, but...

I used reverse engineering to determine how to measure the cables... at least by Vans data:
Their RV-7A w/IO360 mixture cable is 50.5". So I measured the cable in various ways to get 50.5. Turned out that measuring from the polished fixed 'nut' that contacts the aft side of the control panel to the tip of the threaded rod when pushed full forward was exactly 50.5"

Hope this helps someone.

Back