What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EGT fluctuations

jay.pearlman

Well Known Member
I have been flying an RV6 for about three years. Recently, I have begun seeing small fluctuations in EGT on two cylinders. These are variations of +- 10 or twenty around a temperature of 1200. The EGTs are monitored on a Dynon 180.
Have others seen this and what was the cause?

Possibly either a little corrosion at the connectors or loosened connectors. Try separating and reconnecting several times and see if things go back to normal.

You dont indicate whether you have fuel injection or not, but changes in fuel flow will cause commensurate EGT changes. Check/clean your injectors if you have them. Maybe do a flow test on them as well

erich

Erratic-quickly moving egt is likely to be a probe or even more likely a probe termination problem. Especially is it?s otherwise running good.
Tim Andres

EGT next step

I will work with the connectors today and see if cleaning and tightening solves the issue. Cleaning the injectors would be a next step. A note is that I changed out the number 1 EGT probe and the problem went away for that cylinder.

EGT fluctuations resolved

I reworked the probe connectors as suggested, detaching them and reattaching a number of time each in the event there was some corrosion buildup. I also tie-wraps the wires more in the event of vibration (not sure this made any difference). During the subsequent 10 hours of flying, the EGTs were stable and consistent over time.

Back