What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Workshop

dvc4you

Hi everyone,

I am planning to build my RV-9 in my walkout basement.

I will be ripping off the carpet. What kind of floor surface would you recommend?

Tile? Armstrong? Bare concrete?

Thanks

Anything you dont mind spilling paint/primer/epoxy on and is easy to sweep/vacuum up bits of metal/fiberglass.

Bare concrete and epoxy or urethane coating would be durable. That is what mine is. Be aware that walking on a hard floor is fatiguing, so good shoes, and mats where you stand would be welcomed. Lots of aluminum particles to be cleaned so anything with cracks will only collect it. Usually if the floor is clean( & coated), dripped epoxy, oil and dragged stands can tolerate cleaning and will not leave marks. Also, bare concrete is not a vapor barrier and will constantly produce dust. .

One last basement thing. Cover your stored parts if any pipe is above it. You might be surprised at condensate and drips that might occur While a ceiling can take a drip a week, a wing/2024 can not. [voice of experience]

Bare (sealed) concrete.

Or, if you're going to treat it like your living room, you might choose other options such as a really expensive epoxy coating, which still isn't bulletproof.

Expensive?

Bare (sealed) concrete.

Or, if you're going to treat it like your living room, you might choose other options such as a really expensive epoxy coating, which still isn't bulletproof.

Yeah, maybe, mine did not seem expensive when applied 30 yrs ago@ $20/gal mixed. Now, it would be $85/gal. Too bad my home value did not appreciate that much.

So, are you talking about something like a lithium silicate surface densifier and polish? Does that prevent oil spotting?

Yes, this is a complete finished basement, will treat it like a big playroom and would like to avoid the bare concrete if possible.

Leave the carpet

I built much of my -4 in unfinished basement, but I covered most of it with Airliner carpet (I work in the airliner business) and had a ton of unused airplane carpet. Your feet will be happier if your going to get rid of carpet later anyway. A -9 will yield less shavings than the old school kits, and an old vacuum will keep it clean. I love working on carpet..I have provided enough carpet to friends, many have it on the floors in their hangars under their planes. Worry more about spending $$ and time building the plane.

I used scrap pieces of carpet. Just scatter them about, sort of piece them together like a jigsaw puzzle. If you screw a piece up with glue or paint or whatever, just pick it up and toss it and replace it with another piece.

I installed a floating laminate floor over concrete in my hanger shop and like it a lot.

Jim

Whatever you choose, it should be smooth and not have gaps or cracks.

When you build your workbenches, leave room under them for a robot vacuum to freely roll around.

Dave

Back