- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2019, 08:07 AM

Default FlightAware/Flightradar 24 tracking

Do FlightAware or Flightradar24 track aircraft with UAT installations? I can’t see my past flights in either site. Have GRT Safefly/Uavionix Echo UAT installed. I pass my FAA report.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:07 AM

Default history

I don't know how far back your previous flights are but both of those apps will allow you to see some recent past data for free.

If you want a longer history, you will need to purchase one of their upgrade plans...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+
Old 05-13-2019, 10:10 AM

Yes, however the coverage is more spotty as not as many of the ground uplinks monitor UAT. Also, with FlightAware you need to create an account and change your settings to “Show Position Only flights”. Otherwise, they only show flights for which they have a field flight plan. A year ago almost none of my flights showed up. These days, at least portions of most of my flights are on there.

Chris
Old 05-13-2019, 11:48 AM

I also wonder this and have a theory that it has something to do with the way I'm into the ATC system.

Again, just a theory... I would love to learn from someone who knows how "the system" works.

I too have the GRT SafeFly and Uavionix Echo and had Uavionix Tech Support walk me through the set up via telephone so I'm very certain its configured correctly. The only time I consistently show up on FlightAware is when I'm getting flight following on a long XC out of state or across the state. If I'm just flying locally (KFNT, Flint, MI) they give me a local squawk code and I don't show up on FlightAware. Might have something to do with it

RV-4 N249P O-320, Dual P-Mags, Warnke Prop, GRT Sport EX
Old 05-13-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket RV9 View Post
Also, with FlightAware you need to create an account and change your settings to “Show Position Only flights”. Otherwise, they only show flights for which they have a field flight plan.
Try this first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvon811 View Post
The only time I consistently show up on FlightAware is when I'm getting flight following on a long XC out of state or across the state. If I'm just flying locally (KFNT, Flint, MI) they give me a local squawk code and I don't show up on FlightAware.
FWIW local "flight following" traffic data is not passed on to the FAA "national" system so that data is not available to anybody outside the local ATC facility.
2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 05-13-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:23 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket RV9 View Post
Yes, however the coverage is more spotty as not as many of the ground uplinks monitor UAT. Also, with FlightAware you need to create an account and change your settings to “Show Position Only flights”. Otherwise, they only show flights for which they have a field flight plan. A year ago almost none of my flights showed up. These days, at least portions of most of my flights are on there.

Chris
Interestingly enough, I got curious about FlightAware, brought up the App, and typed in the tail number of my little jet (N958PD). I haven’t talked to anyone, nor filed a flight plan on it, yet quite a few of my test flights show up on their tracking. Not all of them, by any means, but some of them. I can’t figure out the differences between those that do, and those that don’t - almost all of the flying has been above 12,000’ so far.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 05-13-2019, 01:33 PM

Default Mode S works

I don't look at FlightAware very often, but I've found that all of my flights show up on flightradar24. I have a Mode S transponder and as soon as I turn it to ALT I show up, regardless of whether I squawk 1200 or a discrete code. This is the case in Canada and in the US. I don't have ADS-B. I also run a receiver for flightradar24 (cheap way to get the Business level membership) and I know it picks up aircraft with mode S.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018
Old 05-13-2019, 05:28 PM

FlightAware and Flightradar24 do not track UAT. I have the same echouat. It rarely triggers FlightAware but never Flightradar24 unless given a squawk code.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:53 PM

I have the older Dynon SV-ADSB-470 which is UAT only. I always show up on Flightaware and have for several years. In all 48 lower states. VFR 1200 no flight following. Their free account keeps the history for 3 months. I use it to cross check (help me remember) where I flew for my logbook.
RV-10 "in the works"
VAF Paid - Annual Autodraft

Last edited by larrynew : 05-13-2019 at 05:55 PM. Reason: 1200
Old 05-13-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnplt View Post
FlightAware and Flightradar24 do not track UAT. I have the same echouat. It rarely triggers FlightAware but never Flightradar24 unless given a squawk code.
FlightAware is tracking UAT, albeit with less coverage. They are now also selling UAT receivers for their ground station uplinks. https://discussions.flightaware.com/...-antenna/45405

Chris