VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-08-2019, 11:01 AM

Default Stratus option

You could sell the 330 and replace it with a Stratus ESG (or ES if you add the 650 as a position source). A Stratus 3i could replace your Stratux and be installed out of sight/off the glare screen). An ESG+Stratus3i “kit” is about $3k (less any proceeds from the sale of the 330 and Stratux). This provides 1090ES out and 978 in. I believe the traffic and weather into the Stratus 3i can be displayed on your 3500 (but I don’t have an Advanced screen, so don’t just take my word for it). This solution also uses a single external antenna for in and out.

Peter
Old 05-08-2019, 11:33 AM

Default A very good, least expensive solution

based on the info you initially provided -- is the uAvionix approach -- either the Echo (which I use with my AFS 5600T and iFly740 and iPad) or the wing-tip/tail light version. This approach uses your current transponder, and has its own GPS position source. The Echo will require a couple of antennas (GPS/UAT) whereas the wingtip/tail light version will not.

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 05-08-2019, 02:59 PM

Since you mentioned the 650 ($$$) I can only presume that the long term goal is to have an IFR capable airplane. If this is correct, then stop. As you are or will discover, one choice affects another. (Is my ifr gps choice compatible with my ADSB-out box? Will my ADSB-in choice display on my EFIS? Do I need an all-in-one box like a 650, or is a separate nav-com plus the new gps 175 a better choice? Or do I need a nav? A back up attitude source?.....etc). If you want ifr capability integrate that now, with the adsb decision. Make the whole panel do what you want. If you just concentrate on adsb, you may be re-doing things again to get ifr capability.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:06 AM

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Bob. Yes, the goal is to have an IFR capable plane. What you are explaining is why I was asking the question. I have a backup attitude source and an SL-30. I only need to have an IFR GPS (and backup NAV/COM) to be well equipped. I wired in a tray for a 430W but don't have a unit to put in it. Since Garmin stopped supporting the 430W, it doesn't seem like a wise move in the long run to get a used 430W. Hence the reference to the GTN 650.

I already have a few pieces of orphaned equipment. I would like to avoid orphaned equipment as much as possible (if that is even possible these days with new tech).
RV-10 #362
Old 05-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagold View Post
Since Garmin stopped supporting the 430W, it doesn't seem like a wise move in the long run to get a used 430W. Hence the reference to the GTN 650.
You can slide an Avidyne IFD-440 in the 430W tray and be set.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 05-09-2019, 11:06 AM

Since you already have one VOR/ILS, you can save $$$ by getting one gps 175 (gps only) and one #2 com, together cheaper than a 650.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akschu View Post
No but echouat is anonymous as long as there is a serial connection to your transponder and it can confirm 1200 squawk before GPS signal acquisition.

Note: I have not tested this, but it's what uavionix said, and it makes sense.
I have tested the skybeacon, I get interrogations at my hangar. If you see your 1200 squawk on the uAvionix monitor, only then can you be anonymous, with a 60 second timeout once losing 1200, unless it sees non-1200, then it reinserts your actual ICAO and ID, as it should.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnplt View Post
Uavionix echouat skyfx will give you traffic and weather on your AFS EFIS screen plus foreflight on your device. Itís basically the only unit that provides traffic and weather to the AFS screens. I have that system and it works great.

Iím currently upgrading to a gtn 650 gtx 345 for traffic and weather on the 650, Garmin aera 660 and Garmin Pilot. Iíll leave the uavionix echouat in the receive only mode so I can keep traffic and weather on my AFS 4500. Never thought about it but I guess I can run 1090es and uat out at the same time according to the FAA.
Which AFS system do you have?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepileit View Post
I have tested the skybeacon, I get interrogations at my hangar. If you see your 1200 squawk on the uAvionix monitor, only then can you be anonymous, with a 60 second timeout once losing 1200, unless it sees non-1200, then it reinserts your actual ICAO and ID, as it should.
EchoUAT != Skybeacon

Serial connection to Transponder != listening to interrogations
Old 05-09-2019, 08:52 PM

I have the 3500 non-s, so I don’t think the Echo traffic will display on the EFIS.
RV-10 #362