Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-04-2019, 03:43 PM

Default Page 12-11 drilling

I have two questions on this page.

First, figure 2 shows, on the empennage fairing to vertical stabilizer skin line, "BLIND-DRILL #40, FINAL-DRILL #27 7 PLACES/SIDE." I only count 5 places per side, both on my plane and in the diagram. Are there 2 holes hiding from me?

Second, step 3 says to blind-drill #27 the holes "around the front of the fairing." Figure 1 only shows the middle 1 and the top 1 on each side. I am assuming that I want to continue around and do the bottom 2 holes on each side (pictured but not called out in figure 2). Has anyone done that and regretted it?
Old 08-08-2019, 09:26 AM

5 places per side on the HS which = 10 total as per fig 1. I count 6 per side on the VS however on fig 2 and it says 7? ideas?

as far as the #27, that is into the fuse skin and yes it is 3

Mark
Old 08-08-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markelliott View Post
5 places per side on the HS which = 10 total as per fig 1. I count 6 per side on the VS however on fig 2 and it says 7? ideas?

as far as the #27, that is into the fuse skin and yes it is 3

Mark
On page 06-04 figure 1, we left 6 holes open on each side of the vertical stabilizer. On page 12-11 figure 2, it says to final drill #27 the aft hole (which is just the metal fairing and vertical stabilizer) and to blind drill #40 7 places per side in addition to that. That's 8 holes on page 12-11 compared to only 6 on page 06-04.

Maybe what's meant is that the 7 places you blind drill #40 include the two lower holes, which would then be blind-drilled #40 and final-drilled #27 instead of just blind-drilled #27 as the 3 holes in figure 1 show.

I'm sure that the answer is just "drill the holes that are there, dummy" but, being a dummy, I like to ask these things just in case.