What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

43-11: Wiring to Start Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I am wiring up the starter. At least getting the wiring there. I connected the WH-K910 wire to the starter relay and this wire is supposed to connect to the starter. The issues is that the ring terminal will not fit over the stud on the starter. The ring terminals appear to be the same on both ends. They are both red.

Am I supposed to drill out the ring terminal to a larger size? Should I clip off the current terminal and put on the correct one?

Why is the correct sized ring terminal not on the wire? I would assume that all the starters will be the same on the IO390.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Ken

Cut the terminal off and install the correct size ring terminal. Best to buy PIDG terminals, per Bob N of the AeroElectric Connection. You do have his book, right??? There are multiple starters available, with multiple connectors, so there is no "one size fits all" solution.

I don't have his book. Where can I get it? I had panel built by SteinAir and I get all my electrical stuff from them--so far.

I guess I thought that there was a standard starter on the IO390. I did not know i had a choice. Maybe I did and did not know it.

I wil ask another dumb question. The plans state to put in the VA-163 bracket. This would require a significant increase in the size of the hole in the bracket to get the wire through. I was wondering if I should bother with that bracket or just use Adel clamps. There is also an Adel clamp called out to install. I am a bit concerned about metal edges wearing through the starter wire over time.

Thanks

I wil ask another dumb question. The plans state to put in the VA-163 bracket. This would require a significant increase in the size of the hole in the bracket to get the wire through. I was wondering if I should bother with that bracket or just use Adel clamps. There is also an Adel clamp called out to install. I am a bit concerned about metal edges wearing through the starter wire over time.

Thanks

VA-163 is for the mixture cable routing.

Now that i look forward in the plans I see that it is for the mixture. And yes I saw that it did say it was for the mixture. But it looked like the wire routed through the fitting on 43-1. I guess it is put in at this point because the starter wire will be in the way otherwise.

I don't have his book. Where can I get it? I had panel built by SteinAir and I get all my electrical stuff from them--so far.

I guess I thought that there was a standard starter on the IO390. I did not know i had a choice. Maybe I did and did not know it.

Free PDF found here.

Back