What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin "TO/GO" function

Bavafa

Well Known Member
Can someone please explain the ?TO" function of this button for me?

My TO/GO for the miss approach functions as I have understood and expect it to function. I was under the impression that this button will also function for the Take OFF as for the Go around in the similar manner. Last weekend, I tried to learn and use it, put a destination in the 650 and selected an altitude in the bug and started rolling on the runway. As the plane rotated and a couple of hundred feet AGL, I pushed the button and nothing except flight director came on. Engaged the NAV button on A/P and pushed again and still nothing.
Have I totally misunderstood the ?TO? portion of this button?

Can someone please explain the ?TO" function of this button for me?

My TO/GO for the miss approach functions as I have understood and expect it to function. I was under the impression that this button will also function for the Take OFF as for the Go around in the similar manner. Last weekend, I tried to learn and use it, put a destination in the 650 and selected an altitude in the bug and started rolling on the runway. As the plane rotated and a couple of hundred feet AGL, I pushed the button and nothing except flight director came on. Engaged the NAV button on A/P and pushed again and still nothing.
Have I totally misunderstood the ?TO? portion of this button?
Hello Mehrdad,

It sounds like there might be some confusion.

The G3X Touch pilot guide explains the takeoff (TO) mode can only be activated on the ground. Pressing the TO/GA button on the ground activates TO mode both laterally and vertically. Lateral guidance on the flight director is wings level, and vertical guidance is the pilot selected, pre-programmed takeoff pitch attitude for your aircraft.

Engaging TO mode on the ground only turns on the autopilot flight director, because you would never want to attempt a takeoff with the autopilot engaged.

Once safely airborne and climbing, you may simply reach up and press the AP button on your GMC 307/507 to engage the servos and allow the autopilot to take over flying the pre-programmed TO climb pitch.

OyULg1rSa6TMTiRVRIyqEIcM53eYIdvbuANspGSQmai_jFQAtVnWz48-HAxrQfdvNgmB7o9vMLH9iXlgp7UQ1sS7KjWShOZv8uq9LzJg_MzI9QiQzxPFBMiD0omNTWyNeZHHzMJaTULvcRThnPfkRGQaQ5L_snKWU1jMlv9V9rp0KoepaRD82CfDZrQUkeiFvhByyFDxpWR-BukwzReoTOa_NMFJ2F6ROqiKN22gODfbM8gsaH6_S0gbLO9yFsSc8GVGvwqHDatmwYyHVsyabZvq5hu6Kb_RKVSD_NgrL9W589ODLUk9BsRX0vBXi5x9U3U3zL8AAQ8dS6-XjUNKoG78N4rtO22AccyIoVWl-6oxQeXTLgjsWcy44fUt2mJa_JPCuTqm2CYsCUf92wCRunih7aruVkDn3etfk4YTW3KwVziKk39MNtoqZy4b9ihxMIEjJnfuEMXEhj02R2U8YbMQE-Ysj8HvyTtKVF71T3QVkg4FkUTjUOi7WIh80H59TvJ9zpIDn9KZSzJledSh0tkan_kCISZcJ525Ml33TmW6vYa1j0FmWTVEXDYYvD08L129n1hkOOd68oZHRtI13quseno7JkOjp55v5QlF3rIhffngkBUoCvghUTCR9606KXgHl2jDmpOVEKx07nFnTX50wJ4_rtM=w520

Once you are ready to turn on course, you can change to using other lateral and vertical modes as desired.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Mehrdad,

It sounds like there might be some confusion.

The G3X Touch pilot guide explains the takeoff (TO) mode can only be activated on the ground. Pressing the TO/GA button on the ground activates TO mode both laterally and vertically. Lateral guidance on the flight director is wings level, and vertical guidance is the pilot selected, pre-programmed takeoff pitch attitude for your aircraft.

Engaging TO mode on the ground only turns on the autopilot flight director, because you would never want to attempt a takeoff with the autopilot engaged.

Once safely airborne and climbing, you may simply reach up and press the AP button on your GMC 307/507 to engage the servos and allow the autopilot to take over flying the pre-programmed TO climb pitch.

OyULg1rSa6TMTiRVRIyqEIcM53eYIdvbuANspGSQmai_jFQAtVnWz48-HAxrQfdvNgmB7o9vMLH9iXlgp7UQ1sS7KjWShOZv8uq9LzJg_MzI9QiQzxPFBMiD0omNTWyNeZHHzMJaTULvcRThnPfkRGQaQ5L_snKWU1jMlv9V9rp0KoepaRD82CfDZrQUkeiFvhByyFDxpWR-BukwzReoTOa_NMFJ2F6ROqiKN22gODfbM8gsaH6_S0gbLO9yFsSc8GVGvwqHDatmwYyHVsyabZvq5hu6Kb_RKVSD_NgrL9W589ODLUk9BsRX0vBXi5x9U3U3zL8AAQ8dS6-XjUNKoG78N4rtO22AccyIoVWl-6oxQeXTLgjsWcy44fUt2mJa_JPCuTqm2CYsCUf92wCRunih7aruVkDn3etfk4YTW3KwVziKk39MNtoqZy4b9ihxMIEjJnfuEMXEhj02R2U8YbMQE-Ysj8HvyTtKVF71T3QVkg4FkUTjUOi7WIh80H59TvJ9zpIDn9KZSzJledSh0tkan_kCISZcJ525Ml33TmW6vYa1j0FmWTVEXDYYvD08L129n1hkOOd68oZHRtI13quseno7JkOjp55v5QlF3rIhffngkBUoCvghUTCR9606KXgHl2jDmpOVEKx07nFnTX50wJ4_rtM=w520

Once you are ready to turn on course, you can change to using other lateral and vertical modes as desired.

Thanks,
Steve

Thank you Steven for clarifying. After I posted this, I went and re-read the manual which stated just as you described. I had always thought that pushing the TO will engage the A/P which I had always hesitated to do, precisely for the reason you mentioned.

Now - - go out and hit the GA button and go missed on an LPV approach! Really nice. Too bad my panel won't do that:(

Back