What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trying to understand approximate value

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I was wondering if any of you might be able to help me figure out rough amounts that certain parts would be worth to sell, assuming a reasonable deal for the buyer.

I don't have these now, so I am not offering this for sale (yet), but might this summer. Mostly I will use this information to decide if I should buy an engine without most of these directly from Lycoming, or buy a complete engine from Vans, and strip off and sell the parts I don't need.

All of these assume we are talking parts as sold by Lycoming on a Factory New 180hp O-360-A1A or IO-360-M1B.

1) Magneto (with gear) would sell for about : __________
2) O-360 Fuel Pump would sell for about: __________
3) Carb would sell for about: __________
4) Fuel Injection System (Injectors, Servo, Fuel Pump) would sell for about: __________
5) Stock Sump and intake tubes

Based on my doing internet searches, my current "guesses" are 1) $980, 2) $290, 3) $825, 4) No idea, 5) No idea

I would greatly appreciate it if a few of you with knowledge of the worth of these parts could give me a guestimate.

I will be facing the same decision soon, as I will be using the SDS EFI system. Not sure whether to buy the Van's engine and convert it or get one with the system already installed.

"Rule of thumb" asking price for used parts is 50% of the current new price.
Of course, there are always exceptions, but this is a typical starting point.

Just remember, you can always come down on your price but can never go up! Well, you CAN go up, but that won't make you any friends.

My Thoughts

The mags will be the most difficult to sell. If I see a mag listed at 10% off the best new price from a major vendor I might make an offer to pay 80% of vendor price. At 10% off I am not interested.
The fuel injection will probably sell the quickest, the carb next.
You would probably be better off listing the mags and gears separately.
Good to remember that on a factory new Lycoming these parts have a couple of hours or more of test cell time.
Look up all the part numbers then price all the items from Spruce, AERO, Dart etc. 80% of the best price will get you a quick sale on most everything except the mags.
Carb is worth 1k ballpark.
Complete fuel injection at least 2500, maybe more.
Rebuilt mags are 600 plus core charge, new probably twice that. In my opinion there is no proven advantage to new mag vs rebuilt which makes the new mag tough to sell.

Back